These crunchy sweet potato fries with harissa aioli take sweet potatoes to a whole new level. They’re a great twist on a traditional side, and summertime grilling makes a perfect partner.
What makes them so special? Well, besides the fact they’re sweet potatoes (which is an obvious yum), they have a flavorful, crispy crunch to them because of a secret ingredient – Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted cereal.
Cereal is really versatile and can be used in lots of different ways, so for your summertime entertaining this year, “think outside the bowl”!
Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries with Harissa Aioli
Start by crushing up the Honey Bunches of Oats cereal in a food processor. It should measure about a cup after being crushed (if you process about 2 cups, you should be good). Add some cumin to the cereal for a boost of flavor. Yum!
Wash, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into spears. Coat each spear in flour mixture, egg wash and then cereal before placing on a foil-lined baking sheet to bake.
When they come out of the oven, sprinkle on a little extra salt (if you want) and some chopped cilantro.
The sweet potato fries taste amazing dipped into harissa aioli, so make sure you mix up a little bit of that too!
- 1 cup crushed Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted cereal
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed and sliced lengthwise – about 1 inch wide
- ½ cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon red harissa (or to taste)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and then set aside.
- In a food processor crush cereal until it measures 1 cup. Combine ground cereal with cumin and place in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a third shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of water until combined.
- Dip the sweet potato first in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then dip each wedge into the egg white mixture until coated. Finally, dip the sweet potato in the cereal mixture, pressing the exposed surface of the potato into the cereal. Transfer potato wedges onto the prepared baking sheet as you go.
- Bake potatoes until tender and crisp, about 25 minutes, turning once.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, combine the mayonnaise and harissa for the dip. Add additional harissa if you prefer your aioli spicy.
- When the potatoes are done, sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve warm with harissa aioli and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.