This easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe was inspired by a chicken place mat. True statement.
When I was visiting my son at Christmas, he showed me a set of chicken place mats he had found at the dollar store, and he asked me if I wanted one since they came in a package of two.
Funny how the simplest things can touch my heart, but doggone it, that place mat meant the world to me because it came from my son, and I brought it home happily.
So when I was thinking of making soup one day, the chicken place mat came to mind, and this easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe was born.
- 8 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes or 8 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- ½ cup onion, cut up
- 6½ cups uncooked extra wide egg noodles
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed (or substitute two 10 oz cans)
- Optional: Salt, to taste
- In large saucepan bring water and bouillon to a boil.
- Cook celery, carrots and onion until tender. Add to water and bouillon.
- Add noodles. Cook uncovered until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream of chicken soup and cooked chicken. Heat through.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Naturally, I had to serve the soup on the chicken place mat too. To do otherwise? Well, that would be absurd.