I have a theory that the worst place to be hungry is on the road. As if it’s not already bad enough dealing with everyone else’s driving, when you’re hungry everything gets amplified tenfold. Plus, around the holidays, everyone’s in more of a hurry to get somewhere: to the mall, to Grandma’s house, to work on time because it’s cold out and they accidentally slept in…
Since there’s no escaping having to drive, we can at least try not to drive while hungry! I took a roadtrip back to Ohio recently, and I packed a whole bunch of healthy snacks from the CVS Gold Emblem and Abound lines.
Today I’m sharing what I brought and why these are the best snacks to help you #FindYourHealthy when you have a long journey!
- Flavored sparkling water: I always have my reusable water bottle with me, but sometimes I need a break from plain water. These flavored waters are tasty, have zero calories, and feel like a treat.
- Popcorn: It’s tasty, low fat, and you get to eat a lot of it for relatively few calories.
- Unsalted pistachio & almond mix: Low sodium and packed with good-for-you fats.
- Beef jerky: It is high in sodium, but has TONS of protein and very little fat and carbs.
- Apple pomegranate blueberry clusters: A wholesome and sweet snack for an energy boost.
- Berry and nut clusters: A little sweet and a little savory with a nice balance of carbs and fats.
- Dried cranberries: A small handful gives you a sweet burst of carbs!
- Protein bars: These chewy bars have a perfect balance of fats, protein, and carbs. Great to throw in your bag when you’re going to be out of your hotel room for the day.
I try to make healthy choices and snack on foods that have good nutrient balances. It’s no fun getting out of the car after a long drive and feeling yucky and heavy after sitting for hours AND eating fast food. With these snack choices, you might have a sore butt, but you won’t feel guilty about what you ate. That’s a win in my book!
What kinds of snacks do you like to take on trips? Do you pay attention to the nutrition facts on your snacks?
This post was sponsored by CVS; all opinions are my own. #FindYourHealthy