This chewy ginger cookies recipe is delightfully spiced with ginger and molasses and makes a soft and wonderfully chewy ginger drop cookie.
I love crunchy gingersnaps too, but this recipe for soft ginger cookies has been passed down through my mister’s family and is perfect for people who prefer chewy ginger cookies to crispy ginger cookies.
SOFT GINGER COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- Soft margarine or shortening
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh ginger
- All-purpose flour (sifted)
- Baking soda
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Farina (can substitute with uncooked cream of wheat)
WHAT IS FARINA?
Farina is a type of milled wheat often used as a hot porridge-type cereal. I had a tough time finding it right now, although I think Bob’s Red Mill makes it.
The easier and less expensive route is to use Cream of Wheat. It’s readily available and works beautifully in this recipe. Look for the original, unflavored variety and if you buy it in pouches, two pouches is equivalent to the half cup needed to make ginger cookies.
HOW TO MAKE CHEWY GINGER DROP COOKIES
Cream the butter and sugar together then add eggs, molasses and fresh ginger. Stir in the dry ingredients and the result will be a soft cookie dough batter.
Use a cookie scoop to drop cookie batter onto a greased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
The recipe makes about two dozen soft and chewy ginger drop cookies everyone will love!
Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.
Other homemade cookies to try:
Chewy Ginger Cookies
Pin this chewy ginger cookie recipe to Pinterest!
Chewy Ginger Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup spreadable butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup farina can substitute cream of wheat (uncooked)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- In electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in egg, molasses and fresh grated ginger.
- In separate large bowl, stir together dry ingredients then mix in with wet ingredients in mixer. Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until cookie center are set. Remove from oven; let cool on cookie sheets for a minute before removing to cooling rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to a week.