If you love Indian cuisine and Indian spices and oh my gosh, do I EVER, you’ll love the Indian spice blends that work their magic in this Chicken Jalfrezi recipe which I made to help celebrate McCormick’s 125th anniversary.(They have an awesome assortment of Indian spices in their Gourmet spice collection.)
I served it “street truck style” in a naan wrap to keep with the “Modern Masala” trend in McCormick’s Flavor Forecast – Indian cuisine with a modern twist!
The Flavor Forecast predicts the popularity of Jalfrezi, a heavily spiced curry dish similar to stir fry, is on the rise in places like the U.S. and Australia. Also predicted to trend are Paneer Cheese (a versatile, fresh, mild-flavored cheese) and Kashmiri Masala (a Northern Indian spice blend with cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and ginger.
Tip: Look for Indian spices in the McCormick Gourmet Spices line. (Actually the line is fantastic for so many ethnic cuisines. I have a HUGE assortment of their spices, and I’ve paid for all but a few of them myself. I’m a little addicted.)
Anyways, let’s cook Indian food!
First, mix the flour and all the seasonings in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss it around real good to coat it.
Heat the clarified butter or olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. (I used olive oil because I’m lazy.) Add the chicken and any remaining flour mixture. Then cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Doesn’t it look good?
Now add those bell peppers; cook and stir 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas (if you’re using them, and why wouldn’t you want to) and sugar; cook and stir another 2 minutes until bell peppers are tender.
In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and mint flakes. For each wrap, place 1 tsp of the lime pickle in the center of a piece of naan. Top with about 3/4 cup of the chicken and pepper mixture, then drizzle about a tablespoon of the yogurt sauce o’er top.
The richly spiced and mouthwatering taste of Indian cuisine explodes in your mouth. It’s absolutely delicious.
Note: Leftovers taste just as yummy when served over a bed of rice.
"Street Truck Style" Chicken Jalfrezi in Naan Wrap
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp McCormick Gourmet Garam Masala
- 2 tsp McCormick ground cumin
- 1 tsp McCormick crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Gourmet black sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp McCormick Gourmet ground cardamom
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter or olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp McCormick Gourmet mint flakes
- 8 tsp lime relish divided
- 2 8.8 oz packages naan bread each cut into 2 pieces
- Optional: 15-oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Mix flour and seasonings in large bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat.
- Heat clarified butter or olive oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken and any remaining flour mixture; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add bell peppers; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas and sugar; cook and stir 2 minutes until bell peppers are tender.
- Mix yogurt and mint in small bowl. For each wrap, place 1 tsp of the lime pickle in center of piece of naan. Top with about 3/4 cup of the chicken and pepper mixture. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the yogurt mixture.