Ever since I tasted Boston baked beans as a child, I’ve been afraid of “Boston” food. Whomever decided those nasty nuggets deserved to be called candy ought to be strung up by their socks and force fed the unholy red atrocities for a month straight.
Oh, I mean it.
So when Kraft suggested I bake a dessert bearing the name of “Easy Layered Boston Cream Pie”, all I heard was Boston, Boston, Boston, and all I pictured was those blasted red beans.
Fortunately, I’m a wee bit more mature than I used to be, and I actually looked at the recipe, and hey now, it was made of cake, pudding, whipped cream and chocolate. <— good things
So I made a Boston cream pie — an easy layered Boston cream pie!
The recipe is especially easy because it starts with a pre-made angel food cake.
Cut the cake into three even layers, and if you don’t trust your free hand knife skills, you can always use a cake leveler to help. I can’t be tamed, so I slit my cake with abandon while howling at the moon (or watching Judge Judy).
Actually, rather than go through the rest of the steps, here’s a video that shows just how easy this recipe is to make:
Once you make your Boston Cream Pie, keep it refrigerated until serving and to maintain freshness. I love the combination of the creamy, soft pudding and moist cake. The chocolate drizzled over the top is just a bonus!
Easy Layered Boston Cream Pie
- 1 pkg. 3.4 oz. JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping divided
- 1 pkg. 10 oz. prepared angel food cake, cut horizontally into 3 layers
- 2 oz. BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate chopped
- BEAT pudding mix and milk in medium bowl with whisk 2 min. Stir in 1/2 cup COOL WHIP.
- STACK cake layers on plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers.
- MICROWAVE chocolate and remaining COOL WHIP in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 30 sec.; stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Spoon over cake. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Sweeten up this spring with easy dessert recipes from Kraft.
Compensation was provided by Kraft via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kraft.