This Greek-inspired spinach pie recipe post is in partnership with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
I’m soooo excited about this recipe because it was inspired by the movie Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.I can hardly wait to get all my girlfriends together for a night of singing, dancing and eating.
I’m sort of on a kick with theming my movie snacks to the movies I watch. It adds another layer of fun to the experience.
And this savory spinach pie goes perfectly with the movie!
For the perfect dinner and/or snack, be sure to make my spinach pie for your movie night.
By the way, I say Greek-inspired (rather than spanokopita) because I can’t eat feta cheese, a key ingredient of spanokopita, so my recipe is made without feta cheese.
It’s a bit of a twist! A delicious twist, I promise you.
Pin and share the recipe!
Greek-inspired Spinach Pie
Mamma Mia Greek-Inspired Spinach Pie
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 15-ounce bags frozen spinach, cooked and WELL drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 20 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, green onions and garlic until softened. Add parsley and spinach. Continue sauteeing about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix together lightly beaten eggs, cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. Fold in cooled spinach mixture.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo dough in baking pan, brushing lightly with butter. Continue layering and buttering until you have 10 sheets in pan. Spread spinach mixture evenly over phyllo dough, then layer and butter another 10 phyllo dough sheets on top. Fold overhanging dough underneath.
- Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Make plans for a Mamma Mia night in with your friends and/or family soon. And bake up this Mamma Mia Greek-inspired spinach pie recipe to go along with it.