What is it about outdoor sculptures that makes them so irresistible? When I heard there was a sculpture garden at the Irving Arts Center in Irving, Texas, I made a beeline for it. And I found a magical world of art for all ages out in the sculpture garden and inside the arts center too!
The first thing that caught my eye was the Irving Centennial Mural that surrounds the sculpture garden. Created by artist Francisco Mendoza along with 40 young artists from Irving, the Venetian glass tiles portray historic moments in Irving’s history. The showstopping mosaic mural stands ten feet high and stretches sixty-six feet wide.
Family Fun Tip: Make a scavenger hunt list of items from the mural and let kids run around and find them!
After exploring the mural, stroll along the winding pathways through the flowing fountains and flowerbeds. There’s something to please the eye at every turn. The collection of outdoor sculptures includes both permanent and rotating installations, all of which inspire curiosity and reflection.
If I had to choose a favorite outdoor sculpture at the Irving Arts Center, it’s this interesting twisted nest full of eggs. At least that’s what I think it is… one never knows for sure what an artist’s vision is, right?
Family Fun Tip: Call out the name of one of the outdoor sculptures and see if kids can guess which sculpture goes with the name. Some are pretty tricky! Here’s a printable list you can take with you when you visit.
What’s Inside the Irving Arts Center?
- Family Activities – Second Sunday Fundays, monthly Jump Start Stories & Art, Homeschool Happenings and more.
- Live events – Live theater, symphony performances, dance, puppet shows and more.
- Kids’ summer camp – This year’s theme is Art Rocks!
- Drop-in gallery tours – Take a tour of the Irving Arts Center (includes galleries and sculpture garden) on Thursdays at 6:30pm and Sundays at 2:30 pm.
- Art galleries – four galleries with frequently rotating exhibits.
- Check the Irving Arts Center calendar for upcoming events.
Irving Arts Center
Pin this post about the Irving Arts Center and its outdoor sculptures!
Irving Arts Center Visitor Info
3333 North MacArthur Blvd.
Irving, TX 75062
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 1:00-5:00 p.m.
Need info on hotels in Irving TX? Check out my post on the Texican Court retro-inspired boutique hotel. It’s a super fun place to stay in an ideal location.