Have you ever knowingly ignored the fact you’re lactose intolerant because the foods containing lactose are so darn delicious?
And you smile and giggle happily as you enjoy a favorite treat and then.. it hits.
You’re rudely reminded of what it means to be lactose intolerant, and you swear that you will never, ever, ever eat or drink that item again.
I love me some ice cream, but it does NOT love me.
What is Lactose?
- Lactose is the major carbohydrate in milk and other dairy foods
- Lactose (milk sugar) consists of two simple sugars – glucose and galactose
- Lactose must be broken down into glucose and galactose by the intestinal enzyme lactase before it can be absorbed by the body
What does it mean to be Lactose Intolerant?
- Most people produce that natural enzyme, lactase, which breaks down lactose (sugar in milk). The amount of lactase your body produces will determine how much lactose your body can break down
- Everyone has different levels of lactose intolerance
- It is common for lactose intolerance to be progressive; many people develop a lactose intolerance later in life
Do you know who celebrity chef Melissa d’Arabian is? Well,she and registered dietitian Michelle Harrington presented a briefing session last week and shared some really good tips on dealing with lactose intolerance.
Eating with Lactose Intolerance:
- An empty stomach increases the chances of intolerance.
- Yogurt, especially Greek yogurt, is one of the easier to digest dairy products
- Choose harder, aged cheeses as they’re lower in lactose (Aged Cheddar, Gruyère, Pecorino and Swiss)
- Substitute LACTAID milk cup for cup for regular milk. The slightly sweeter taste isn’t noticeable in recipes.
- Butter is low in lactose, so there’s no need to remove it from your diet (unless it’s for health reasons).
- LACTAID cottage cheese is a flexible dairy product. Add veggies to go savory; add fruit to go sweet.
What is LACTAID?
- LACTAID Products can help people who have a lactose sensitivity to digest dairy products without stomach discomfort so they can enjoy the creamy, delicious taste of dairy that they love
- LACTAID provides the lactase that the body can’t produce enough of, which helps you break down lactose
- LACTAID Dairy Products are 100% real dairy, just with a natural yeast-derived enzyme added called lactase
One lucky reader will win a LACTAID free product coupon (value up to $5.99)
This post is part of a sponsored campaign through The Motherhood. All opinions are honest and my own.