Vegan slow cooker pumpkin posole is delicious! Thanks, Chanelle! She doesn’t make recipes for the blog that often (mostly because she refuses to be bothered with measuring her ingredients) but occasionally she surprises me.
When she lived in Columbus she used to eat at a restaurant called Surly Girl (which has since closed) and they made a vegan posole she loved. That’s how she discovered hominy and then became obsessed with it.
She decided to make her own version of posole but added pumpkin for more nutrition, flavor and body, and this vegan slow cooker pumpkin posole was born!
Ingredients for vegan pumpkin posole
- fire-roasted tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- vegetable broth
- kidney beans (light red and dark red)
- pureed pumpkin
- yellow bell pepper
- orange bell pepper
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
How to make slow cooker pumpkin posole
This savory and hearty soup couldn’t be easier to make either. Throw everything in the slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours. That’s it!
I served cornbread as a side, but crackers, warm bread or tortillas would be equally yummy, and if you have cilantro, chop some for a garnish.
Other pumpkin recipes you may enjoy:
- Pumpkin pasta with crispy fried sage and pine nuts
- Penne with pumpkin pasta sauce
- No-bake pumpkin cream cheese pie
- Pumpkin grilled cheese paninis
- Pumpkin cookie bars
- 1-2-3 pumpkin cake
- Chocolate chip pumpkin bread
- Pumpkin pie with brown sugar oatmeal cookie crust
- Pumpkin biscuits
- Pumpkin dump cake with cheesecake pudding topping
Vegan Slow Cooker Pumpkin Posole
- 2 15.5 ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15oz cans yellow hominy drained
- 1 15oz can light red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can pureed pumpkin
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Mix together.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours.