These scrumptious and flavorful apricot coffee cake bars make the perfect dessert, breakfast, or snack, and just like their name promises, they’re an ideal accompaniment to a cup of coffee or hot tea.
Ingredients – What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for exact amounts and instructions.
- unsalted butter, softened
- granulated sugar
- light brown sugar
- egg, room temperature
- almond extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- ground cardamom
- ground cinnamon
- apricot jam
- grated fresh ginger
Substitutions and Additions
Other jams: Try this with peach, apricot-peach (a fave of mine), plum, pear or apple. All of those flavors will work with the cardamom and cinnamon spices.
How to make Apricot Coffee Cake
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat softened butter and both sugars together until soft and creamy.
STEP 2: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon. Gradually add to the sugar mixture to form a dough.
STEP 3: Press about 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of an ungreased 8×8-inch square pan.
STEP 4: In a small bowl, mix together apricot jam and ginger. Spread over the crust base in the pan.
STEP 5: Drop remaining dough in clusters across the top of the jam.
STEP 6: Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
STEP 7: Let cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
Other Apricot Recipes to Try
It’s totally a personal preference. I like jam for this apricot coffee cake because it’s smoother and doesn’t contain fruit chunks, but if you like fruit chunks, go for it!
Coffee cake can be kept at room temperature for a day, but any longer, and it should be kept in the refrigerator and covered, to prevent extra moisture loss.
Yep. Wrap tightly with a few layers of plastic wrap to stave off freezer burn. To thaw, unwrap and let thaw at room temperature.
Apricot Coffee Cake Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in egg and almond extract.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Gradually add to sugar mixture until it forms a dough.
- Press two-thirds of the dough into the bottom of an ungreased 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- In small bowl, mix together apricot and ginger. Spread over crust.
- Crumble remaining dough over the top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.