This Deluxe Sausage Dogs recipe post is sponsored by Eckrich Smoked Sausage. All opinions are my own.
You’d never know it to look at them, but these Deluxe Sausage Dogs can be put together in far less than 30 minutes… probably closer to 20 minutes! And they’re absolutely scrumptious!
I try to make a weekly meal plan in advance, but sometimes I get so caught up in work that the afternoon flies by, it’s nearly seven o’clock and everyone is starving! Those are the days when I’m tempted to break down and order takeout, but we’d still have to wait at least an hour for the food to be delivered. No thanks.
Fortunately, I’ve learned to outsmart my absent-mindedness by having some go-to family favorites on hand all the time, like Eckrich Naturally Hardwood Smoked Sausage, found in the deli section at my local grocery store.
My family loves the great taste and quality and I love that I can quickly put together a homemade meal on the table on my busiest days. Eckrich Smoked Sausage is so versatile and goes with so much of what I already have in my kitchen. Like extra veggies…
Veggies taste so darn good in my deluxe sausage dogs, and it makes me happy to use up extra bits of this and that.
While I’m heating up the Eckrich Smoked Sausage (I use Original Natural Casing Smoked Sausage Ropes), I chop the veggies and sauté them on the stove. I also heat up some refried beans and mix up a crema. When the sausages are heated through, they’re tucked into buns.
Then I spread some refried beans on the smoked sausage and sprinkle on some shredded cheese.
Pop those babies under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the buns are a toasty golden brown.
Next load on the onions, peppers, tomatoes, crema and cilantro.
And there you have it – unbelievably delicious deluxe sausage dogs on the table in about 20 minutes!
Deluxe Sausage Dogs
- 2 pkgs Eckrich Original Natural Casing Smoked Sausage Rope
- 4 hoagie rolls 6"
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lg green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup refried beans divided
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- 2 tsp diced pickled jalapenos peppers optional
- 1 tbsp water, to drizzling consistency
- Heat sausage according to package directions. While heating, fry peppers in oil for 3-5 minutes. Add onions; continue cooking until veggies are tender. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat refried beans over medium-low heat.
- While beans are heating, combine sour cream, taco sauce and jalapenos (optional) in small bowl. Add water a teaspoon at a time until crema is of a drizzling consistency. Set aside.
- Cut each heated sausage rope in half. Put sausage in buns on cookie sheet. Spread refried beans on each of the sausages and sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and buns are golden brown. Top with peppers, onions, and tomato. Drizzle with crema, sprinkle on cilantro. Serve.
For more info about Eckrich Smoked Sausage, as well as quick and easy recipes please visit www.eckrich.com.
Thank you to Eckrich Smoked Sausage for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.