Summer and peaches go hand in hand and this easy peach crisp recipe turns those ripe, sweet and juicy peaches into a mouthwatering summer dessert.
Well, I couldn’t resist making peach crisp with a handful of this year’s crop of stone fruit beauties. (I made this peach upside-down cake last year.)
Ingredients for fruit crisp with peaches
- fresh peaches (you could use frozen (thawed) or canned peaches (drained) but fresh peaches will always be the best!
- lemon juice
- old-fashioned rolled oats
- brown sugar
How to make easy peach crisp
Step 1: Peel and slice the peaches. Place in the baking dish and toss with the lemon juice, cornstarch and sugar.
Do you have to peel the peaches?
Nope, but I always do it as a personal preference. Some people like the added color the skins bring to the peaches but others may not enjoy the texture. I’m good either way, but I always peel them as a matter of course.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Then use a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingers to cut the pats of butter into the mixture. When combined, it will resemble coarse crumbles of varying sizes.
Step 3: Sprinkle the crisp topping over the peaches and bake for about 40 minutes.
When the peach crisp is ready, the topping will be a bit browner and the peaches will be tender. Cut a peach with a fork or knife to test tenderness.
How to serve peach crisp with fresh peaches
Fruit crisp is always best when served right away so I like to bake it while we’re eating dinner. Let it sit for about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven, spoon into dessert dishes and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Can you use ripe or overripe peaches?
Yes, but one thing to keep in mind about peaches… if they’re very ripe, they’re going to be very juicy.
The cornstarch in my recipe will help to thicken the peaches and juice during baking but if your peaches are overly ripe, juice may still collect at the bottom of the crisp. Don’t panic!
If you’re serving it right away, the extra juice won’t have time to soften up the crumble topping. Besides, if you’re serving your peach crisp with ice cream, a little extra juice drizzled over the top can be a beautiful thing.
Easy Peach Crisp
- 6 peaches peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter cut into pats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice peaches and place in an 8-inch square baking pan. Toss with lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch.
- In large bowl, mix flour oats, cinnamon and brown sugar. Cut in butter with pastry blender, fork or fingers until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over peaches.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until peaches are tender and crumbs are golden brown. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 6 or 8 servings.