This four cheese macaroni and cheese with bacon is a twist on one of my favorite holiday side dishes. On Thanksgiving we do the traditional turkey and cranberries meal, but on Christmas we have a baked ham and that’s when the ooey gooey comfort of mac and cheese makes an appearance on the holiday table.
And this extra cheesy twist on the classic is the best macaroni and cheese I’ve ever had. The best.
Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
I usually use a combination of two cheeses to make mac and cheese, but when I went grocery shopping, I saw an assortment of four cheese varieties in one package from Great Midwest® Cheeses, and I felt inspired to go cheese-crazy four times over!
Now technically, it was probably designed for crackers and whatnot, but the varieties and amounts in this particular gourmet cheese tray were perfect for a four-cheese macaroni and cheese with bacon.
More than perfect.
Begin by making a roux, and I promise you it’s easy as long as you whisk, whisk, whisk. You pretty much want to be whisking from start to finish, and it will turn out to be the creamiest, cheesiest most wonderful mac and cheese you’ll ever taste.
When the cheese sauce is ready, dump in your pasta and stir to coat.
Pour it all in a baking dish and then add more cheese.
YES. More cheese.
Cover with TONS of crumbled bacon, then bake it for 15 minutes.
Prepare to fall in love – a bite at a time.
The combination of all four melted kinds of cheese PLUS bacon is ecstasy. Pure ecstasy.
You may never be the same again.
This four-cheese macaroni and cheese is creamy, ooey, gooey magic, I tell ya.
Perfection. Cheesy perfection.
Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 16 oz box uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded colby cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 1 pkg bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to directions; drain and set aside.
- In Dutch oven stockpot over medium heat, melt butter. Slowly add flour, continuously whisking. Whisk in chicken broth. Slowly add cream, whisking throughout. Gradually add 3/4 cup of each of the four cheeses while continuing to whisk until smooth.
- Add pasta to cheese sauce, stirring to mix well. Turn into the casserole dish and spread evenly. Add the remaining cheese on top. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over cheese. Bake 15 minutes.