Last night’s dinner called for a fresh Italian salad and lasagna. I let Stouffer’s make the lasagna, and I concentrated on the salad while it oven-baked.
Normally, I stink at taking the time to prepare a salad that’s not the actual entree itself. I’m not sure why I’m so lazy-dazy about that because I grew up having salad and fresh fruit or veggies with each and every meal.
Mom, what happened to me?
I’m gonna try to be a better girl… starting now.
I know that my mom wasn’t just giving us salad because she was cruel. She was actually trying to ensure her meals, frozen or otherwise, included fruits, veggies, whole grains and low-fat dairy… in other words, balance.
I rely on frozen prepared foods a heck of a lot because I’m pooped at the end of the day. Plus now it’s dark at dinnertime, and I hate cooking in the dark!
Therefore I present to you the Stouffer’s Lasagna with Meat and Sauce I made last night.
Stouffer’s Lasagna with Meat and Sauce is a great way to make a quality meal at home without having to start from scratch. It’s made with hand layered pasta and vine-ripened tomatoes and it’s topped with fresh mozzarella and aged parmesan cheese.
Although it can be prepared in the oven or the microwave, listen to me and bake it in the oven. I personally feel it’s much better that way.
And remember to balance your plate by adding a simple salad (my fresh Italian salad being the obvious choice). Dinner is served!
Fresh Italian Salad
Fresh Italian Salad
- 1 head green leaf lettuce washed
- 1 head romaine lettuce washed
- 1 5 oz bag baby spinach washed
- ½ red onion sliced in half moons
- 6 oz can black olives
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced in rounds
- 8 oz jar roasted red pepper strips
- 1 10- oz jar marinated mushrooms
- 1 6.5 oz jar artichoke hearts
- 4 oz. Fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
Fresh Olive Oil Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp oregano fresh or flakes
- Line around inside of bowl with leaf lettuce. Chop remaining leaf lettuce and romaine lettuce and fill bowl with it.
- Line spinach leaves in a circular fashion over top of lettuce.
- Layer red onions in circular pattern around bowl. Follow with olives,cucumber slices, and roasted red pepper strips.
- Put marinated mushrooms in center. Sprinkle artichoke hearts around mushrooms.
- Place mozzarella slices in a circle around mushrooms and artichokes, and place a grape tomato between each of the cheese slices. Chop a few tomatoes in half and place around olives in center.
- Garnish salad with fresh basil leaves and Parmesan cheese.
Olive Oil Vinaigrette
- Whisk together all ingredients and serve on the side.