This Grilled Italian Sausage with Campfire Veggies recipe is such an easy, flavorful dish for summer, and since most of us fire up the grill pretty regularly in warm weather, I hope you get a chance to try it.
My boyfriend and I grill several times a week, and most of the time he mans the grill. He loves doing it, but he’s not the best cleaner-upper by a long shot. Most of the time he just closes the grill’s lid and leaves the mess for another time. (P.S…. “another time” goes by the name of “Liz”.) I’m stuck taking the dirty, greasy grates inside, and scrubbing until my paws hurt. Sigh.
However, I believe I’ve found the solution in Clorox’s new line of cleaning products which takes the hassle and fuss out of cleaning: Clorox Scrub Singles.
The other day when he wanted to do some barbecuing, I gave him a Clorox Scrub Singles pad and shoved him out the door. They’re bleach-free and loaded with Clorox cleaner, so all you have to do is wet, scrub and then toss them in the garbage.
A few minutes later, he had the charcoal grill grates thoroughly scrubbed, rinsed and in tip-top shape ready for grilling.
Real clean made simple.
Now about that grilling and that yummy grilled Italian sausage with campfire veggies…
When I make campfire veggies, I chop up a couple different kinds of peppers, some mushrooms and some onions, and because this girl follows a strict set of cutting board sanitation rules, I clean my chopping surface after every use and after every ingredient.
But back to those chopped veggies… I add a couple tablespoons of harissa sauce for a kick of spice. Then I wrap the veggies in two layers of aluminum foil for grilling.
They’ll get nice and tender after being grilled and make the perfect topping for Italian sausage on a bun. They also taste fantastic over a grilled hamburger!
It makes for a super easy but oh, so delicious summer meal.
Grilled Italian Sausage with Campfire Veggies
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 red pimento peppers seeded and chopped
- ½ Vidalia onion chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms chopped
- 2 Tbsp Harissa sauce
- 5 spicy or mild Italian sausage links
- Crusty sandwich rolls
- 2 Tbsp Harissa sauce
- Mix chopped veggies and Harissa sauce in a medium bowl. Divide into 5 equal portions (about 1 cup each). Wrap each portion in aluminum foil. Wrap in a second layer of foil.
- Preheat charcoal grill. Place sausage links and veggie packets on grill at same time. Keep veggies away from open flames. Cook about 15 minutes.
- Serve veggies over Italian sausage on bun.