This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Food Lion. All opinions are 100% mine.
Summer calls for ice cream and this homemade lemon basil cookie crunch ice cream hits the sweet spot! Make a batch for National Ice Cream Day and celebrate summertime with your friends, family and ice cream.
This lemon basil ice cream is soft, creamy and full of delicious lemon cookie chunks for a little crunch.
Oh my goodness, it’s yummy!
I was inspired to break out my ice cream maker for the summer when I saw the Weekly deals at Food Lion. I always make my grocery list according to what’s on sale, but truthfully, Food Lion prices are reasonable all the time. I shop there consistently because they make it so easy to nourish my family affordably.
I also really love that there’s always regional produce from local farms available. That’s important to me, and Food Lion makes a big effort to support the community.
Now let’s make some lemon basil cookie crunch ice cream!
Start by mixing together your cream, milk, lemon zest and basil and slowly bring to a boil. The basil will infuse into the cream mixture… oh, how I love basil.
I used a whole package of basil (3/4 of an ounce), but if you’d prefer a very subtle flavor, you could use less.
Strain the cream mixture to remove the leaves once it has infused.
Whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until they get airy, then slowly temper the eggs with the warm (but not hot) cream mixture, stirring constantly.
Return to stovetop and slowly heat until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken slightly and coat the back of a spoon.
Remove from heat and let cool 20-30 minutes before adding it your ice cream maker. Let churn for 30-40 minutes or according to manufacturer directions.
I use this ice cream maker and love it!
In the last few minutes of churning, crumble about 12 cookies into chunks and drop into ice cream maker. Once they’ve been folded in, turn off the machine and scoop the ice cream into an ice cream storage container. Let freeze for a few hours or overnight before digging in!
Serve the lemon basil ice cream in a bowl.
Or scoop it on a cone!
It’s absolutely scrumptious!
And remember, you can find everything you need to make this homemade ice cream at Food Lion!
Lemon Basil Cookie Crunch Ice Cream
Pin this Lemon Basil Cookie Crunch Ice Cream recipe post!
Lemon Basil Cookie Crunch Ice Cream
- Ice cream maker
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5-10 basil leaves more or less depending on affinity for basil
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 12 lemon sandwich cookies
- At least 24 hours before beginning recipe, put your ice cream maker freezer bowl in the freezer.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, bring cream, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil and salt to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let temperature go from hot to warm. Strain the mixture to remove basil leaves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and egg yolks until they become airy and lighter in color.
- Temper the eggs by slowly adding the warm cream to them, stirring constantly.
- Return the combined mixture to the sauce pan. Over low heat, cook, stirring constantly until mixture reaches an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees and coats the back of a spoon. Don't let it reach a boil.
- Let it cool for 20-30 minutes, cover and chill in refrigerator for about an hour. Pour mixture into freezer bowl. Churn with ice cream maker for about 30-40 minutes or according to manufacturer directions.
- In the final minutes of churning, add chunks of lemon cookies to the mixture and let machine fold them in.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.