Thank you Modern Table for sponsoring this penne pasta with pumpkin pasta sauce recipe post. The mighty plant protein puts the nutritious in delicious — check out Modern Table pasta today!
I’m in full-on pumpkin mode right now and want to eat all the pumpkin things, but I’m saving the pies for later. This month I’m into savory, feel-good, hearty pumpkin recipes that complement the healthy lifestyle I’ve been living this year.
That’s how this penne pasta with pumpkin pasta sauce was born, and ooo baby, baby, it’s good!
And this penne pasta with pumpkin pasta sauce is made with pasta I feel great about from Modern Table.
Now you can have your pasta and eat it too!
Modern Table pastas are for those looking for a healthy lifestyle, and a perfect way to get more nutrition from your meals. All pastas are lentil-based and contain complete proteins – meaning they have the 9 essential amino acids our bodies need for strong energy, good digestion, and muscle health.
With only three plant-based ingredients, the plain pastas are vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
And Modern Table Penne cooks up just as tender (or al dente) as traditional pasta. My family and I think it tastes exactly the same — translation: delicious.
I’m SO glad plant-based pasta is a thing!
To make the penne pasta with pumpkin pasta sauce, get that pasta cooking while you roast some tomatoes and saute some healthy veggies.
The veggies will be added to a savory pumpkin pasta sauce cooked over the stove. Then it’s poured over the freshly cooked pasta. YUM!
You don’t have to give up the good stuff, because the stuff you want is good.
Enjoy every satisfying bite!
Penne Pasta with Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 2 8-oz pkg Modern Table Penne Pasta
- ½ small sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 chili peppers, finely diced
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup reserved water from cooking pasta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add carrots; saute 3 minutes. Add peppers; cook another 2 minutes. Add garlic and onions; cook until translucent and soft. Add chickpeas; saute briefly to warm. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place halved tomatoes on baking sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast in oven for 15 minutes until tomatoes blister and begin to peel. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- While tomatoes are roasting, fill a large stockpot with water and heat to boiling. When water boils, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- While pasta is boiling, heat pumpkin, half and half, vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper over low heat, stirring frequently. When heated through, stir in sauteed veggies. Stir in pasta water, then Parmesan cheese. Add basil and tomatoes.
- To serve, spoon pumpkin sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with reserved basil.