This springtime stuffed cupcakes recipe post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Oooo, stuffed cupcakes! You can’t go wrong when a dessert is stuffed with more dessert, right?
These springtime stuffed cupcakes are bursting with pastel-colored cake balls, so they’re sure to put a smile on your face when you see the springtime surprise inside.
I’m not gonna lie… it’s a process to make these, but they’re so worth it. They’re perfect for spring and summer parties, birthdays, baby showers, bridal showers, baby reveal parties and so many other occasions!
Start by baking a vanilla cake (use a mix… I did), let it cool and then crumble it into a bowl with some white frosting and some of your favorite springtime sprinkles. I’m using this super cute sprinkle mix from Sweets & Treats.
Then you’ll mix it all up until evenly dispersed. At this point, decide how many colors you want to use for your stuffed centers. I chose four colors so I divided my cake ball batter into four parts and put each into a separate bowl. Then I used four colors of gel paste: pink, lavender, green and blue, added a few drops of each one and mixed it evenly into the batter.
Next you’ll get started on the actual cupcakes, so prepare another cake mix following my recipe and spoon a tablespoon of the batter into the bottom of your cupcake tin. Place a cupcake ball surprise on top of the batter and toss in a few more sprinkles.. just for fun.
Then you’ll spoon another tablespoon of batter over the top of the cake balls, completely covering them. If you can see a little of the color showing through… don’t panic. The icing will cover it up later!
Bake! Remove the cupcakes individually and let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
Make a buttercream icing with Dixie Crystals powdered sugar and pipe it on top of the cupcakes with a star tip. Add some more sprinkles on top and voila!
The springtime stuffed cupcakes are ready to wow your guests with their secret surprise.
What color will you get?
Scroll down to get the springtime stuffed cupcakes recipe and be sure to pin it and share it with your friends! And enter the BrunchWeek giveaway below for some amazing prizes!
Springtime Stuffed Cupcakes
Pin the springtime stuffed cupcakes recipe!
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Iced Lavender Latte from The Baking Fairy
Mango Lemonade Cocktail from Kate’s Recipe Box
Mango Wine Spritzer from April Golightly
Meyer Lemon Margarita from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Strawberry Lassi from Tip Garden
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Breakfast Salad from Simply Healthyish Recipes
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Breakfast Poutine from The Redhead Baker
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and another winner(s) will be chosen. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.
Springtime Stuffed Cupcakes
- 1 15.25 oz white, vanilla or yellow cake mix, prepared as directed you'll be using half the cake, so if you can find a 9 ounce cake mix - perfect!
- 1 cup white frosting, divided
- 2 tablespoons pastel colored sprinkles, plus more for decoration
- 1 18.25 oz pkg white, vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Crumble half the prepared and cooled cake into a large bowl. Add 1/4 tub frosting and 2 tablespoons sprinkles. Stir until combined.
- Divide dough equally in separate bowls to be colored. I divided mine into four different colors, but you could do two colors and just divide it in half. Add a few drops to each dough ball and mix in until you've reached your desired color and it's uniform throughout. Repeat for each remaining color; set cake balls aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line regular-sized muffin pans with paper liners; set aside. In large mixing bowl, blend cake mix, sour cream, canola, eggs, vanilla on low until mixed.
- Spoon a level tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup, placing a prepared cake ball on top. Cover cake ball with another tablespoon of batter. Bake about 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted near edge comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat inthe powdered sugar, vanilla andmilk, adding milk if needed to reach desired piping consistency. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Decorate with additional sprinkles, if desired.