This turkey taco skillet bake makes a fun dinner for the family or a fabulous party appetizer. I served it for dinner recently and it was an enormous hit!
It’s made with ground turkey, oodles of chopped veggies and a delicious combination of Tex-Mex spices and baked until bubbling hot and melty.
A definite crowd-pleaser!
The recipe comes from a cookbook I was given for review: The Defined Dish: Healthy and Wholesome Weeknight Recipes by Alex Snodgrass and it’s full of really delicious homestyle recipes with healthy tweaks. It’s one of the best cookbooks I’ve discovered recently – seriously.
Every recipe in the cookbook is clearly marked as to whether it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, paleo, whole 30, grain-free or dairy-free and many of the recipes include optional modifications to meet dietary restrictions.
The cookbook is organized into chapters like Mom-Bo Italiano, Soups for the Soul, Tacos y Mas and Better than Takeout.
It’s all about eating healthy and not feeling deprived.
It shows you how to use clean, real-ingredient foods that make you feel good and the recipes are perfect for everyday weeknight dinners.
I really loved the ingredients in the turkey taco skillet bake recipe, especially the radishes. They were a surprising ingredient but so, so good in this dish!
And it’s super fun to eat because you scoop up the goodness with grain-free tortilla chips!
Turkey Taco Skillet Bake
Turkey Taco Skillet Bake
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup seeded and finely diced poblano pepper 1 small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese omit for dairy-free or paleo
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 radishes sliced and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 jalapeno thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 large bag grain-free tortilla chips omit for dairy-free or paleo
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, bell pepper, onion, poblano pepper and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey, paprika, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook turkey, crumbling as it cooks until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in the tomato paste until incorporated with meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup of the broth and continue cooking while stirring until broth has reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and add remaining 1/4 cup broth, stirring to combine. Evenly spread meat mixture across the skillet and sprinkle the top with cheese. Transfer pan to oven and bake until cheese is hot and bubbly, about 8 minutes.
- To serve, top with diced avocado, cilantro, radishes and sliced jalapeno. Dig in with chips.
Pin the turkey taco skillet bake recipe!
Get a copy of The Defined Dish: Healthy and Wholesome Weeknight Recipes cookbook at Amazon. You will LOVE it!