Some of my favorite meals (like this bacon pistachio mac n’ cheese) create the stickiest, most horrible baked-on concrete-like food residue. The thought of all that scrubbing post-meal…ugh. So I have to think long and hard about whether I really, really, really want that melted, gooey and cheesy dinner after all.
And most of the time I still do! How can I resist Bacon Pistachio Mac ‘n Cheese, right?
Bacon Pistachio Mac n' Cheese
- 1/4 c finely ground pistachios
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tbsp 1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3 1/2 cup grated Sharp Cheddar cheese divided
- 1 16- oz box elbow macaroni
- 8 slices cooked bacon chopped in small pieces
Grind pistachios with mortar and pestle until powdery. Combine with plain breadcrumbs and pepper; set aside.
In a pot, combine milk, butter, yogurt, mozzarella cheese, and 2 1/2 cups of cheddar. heat on low to medium heat. Stir often until heated through and smooth.
While mixture heats, cook paste al dente; drain. Place pasta into casserole dish.
Add bacon to milk/cheese mixture and pour over pasta. Top with the bread crumb mixture and remaining cheddar.
Bake at 350 degrees for approx 20 minutes.