I can’t resist this bacon pistachio mac and cheese.
Oh, who am I kidding? I can’t resist ANY mac and cheese recipe but I really love the pistachio and pretzel crumb topping on this one.
Yep, pistachios and pretzel crumbs — so good!
To make bacon pistachio macaroni and cheese, start by finely grinding pistachios and pretzels in a food processor. I use this mini food processor for small jobs like this.
Would you believe when I first started making this mac ‘n cheese recipe I used a mortar and pestle? Thank goodness I found my mini chopper.
Chop the cooked bacon into bite-sized pieces and set aside. I used thick-cut bacon from the meat counter because that’s what I had on hand this week, but normally I just use packaged bacon.
Bring water to a boil and cook the elbow macaroni al dente. Why al dente? Because it’s going to cook a little more when baked in the oven and cooking it al dente helps prevent it from overcooking to that weird smooshy texture.
While waiting for the pasta to cook, start making the cheese sauce. In a pot, combine milk, butter, yogurt and some of the cheese and heat on low to medium heat, stirring often until mixture is heated through and smooth. Then stir in the macaroni noodles.
Add some of the bacon (but reserve some for sprinkling on top).
Then pour everything into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
Sprinkle on the pistachio and pretzel crumb mixture. Then, add some more cheese, of course.
Throw on the rest of that bacon too.
Then get your serving spoon in there and scoop out some of that ultra-creamy goodness for everyone in your family!
Bacon Pistachio Mac and Cheese
Pin this bacon pistachio macaroni and cheese recipe to Pinterest!
Bacon Pistachio Mac n' Cheese
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup pretzels
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces (half stick)
- 1 7 oz cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese divided
- 1 16 oz pkg elbow macaroni
- 8 slices bacon cooked and chopped in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With food processor, grind pistachios and until fine. Combine with plain breadcrumbs and pepper; set aside.
- In a pot, combine milk, butter, yogurt, mozzarella cheese, and 2 1/2 cups of cheddar. heat on low to medium heat. Stir often until heated through and smooth.
- While mixture heats, cook paste al dente; drain. Place pasta into casserole dish (sprayed with cooking spray).
- Add bacon to milk/cheese mixture and pour over pasta. Top with the bread crumb mixture and remaining cheddar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx 20 minutes.