Blackberry dumplings are a southern dessert favorite!
Puffy mounds of dumpling dough are dropped and cooked on top of a simmering blackberry sauce and the combination is mouthwateringly delicious.
Blackberry dumplings are the perfect way to use the bounty of fresh blackberries available in the summertime.
They can be eaten when hot or cold and are delightful when served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
Blackberry Dumplings Ingredients
- lemon juice
- baking powder
How to make blackberry dumplings
Add blackberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt to a skillet over medium-high heat.
Squish the blackberries with a spoon to release their juices and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly to prevent sticking or burning.
Once the fruit sauce reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for about 5 minutes, continuing to stir.
Mix up the dumpling batter while the sauce simmers.
Drop large spoonfuls of the dumpling batter over the top of the simmering sauce. Cover and let cook for about 15 minutes.
The dumplings will be puffy and soft and the blackberry sauce will have cooked down even more.
Serve each dumpling with a spoonful of blackberry sauce.
Scrumptious beyond belief!
What other fruits can be used for fruit dumplings?
Try making fruit dumplings with raspberries, black raspberries, strawberries or a combination of berries.
Monday Berry Week Recipes
- Berries and Cream Angel Food Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blackberry Dumplings by Eat Move Make
- Blackberry Lemon Sweet Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Blueberry, Basil and Goat Cheese Galette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Easy Strawberry Mousse Dessert by Blogghetti
- Four Berry Jam by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris by The Redhead Baker
- Mixed Berry Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Ribbon Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Strawberries and Cream Scones by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Strawberry Pistachio Crisp by The Baking Fairy
- Very Berry Salsa by The Freshman Cook
- 1 quart fresh blackberries
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅔ cup milk
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for garnish
- In a skillet over medium heat, stir together blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon juice. Use a large spoon to smoosh the berries so they release their juices and stir regularly to ensure the sauce doesn't burn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and the rest of the salt and sugar. Add milk, stirring just until mixed.
- Drop into six mounds over the blackberry sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.