This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Food Lion. All opinions are 100% mine.
This grilled cheese patty melt with french fried onions combines so many of the things I love. The golden-buttery-crisped bread, savory bacon, smoky BBQ, crunchy onions, kick of peppers and ooey, gooey hot melted cheese make everything that’s wrong in the world go away.
I cri at the taste of it. And you will too.
So head over to Food Lion for all the ingredients and turn your next burger night into a celebration of National Grilled Cheese Month by griddling up a grilled cheese patty melt just like mine.
You can find everything I used in this recipe at Food Lion for a really great price. Check the weekly deals when you plan your menu! Food Lion makes it so easy to nourish your family affordably, and the fresh food selection is outstanding.
They also go above and beyond to help you find what you need. Case in point: I was looking for a loaf of rustic bread to make these grilled cheese patty melts, and the bakery had a great selection but they were all thinly pre-sliced.
On a whim, I asked at the bakery counter if they had any unsliced loaves and she said she’d bake me one in 12 minutes! I had no idea they could do custom requests like this, but I’m thrilled. It’s just another reason to love Food Lion, y’all.
So when I got home I sliced the bread into slices, buttered one side of each slice and placed them on the griddle to cook low and slow while I layered on all the other ingredients for my sandwiches.
I added two kinds of cheese, diced peppers and a burger patty, but that’s not all.
Next came some French fried onions.
And finally, some bacon and BBQ sauce.
Combine both halves of the sandwich together, and grill it until the cheese melts and the bread has been toasted to a nice warm, golden brown.
I’m drooling all over again just thinking about it!
Serve the grilled cheese patty melts with fries and some coleslaw from the Food Lion deli.
Enjoy every bite of this hot, melted goodness!
Grilled Cheese Patty Melt with French Fried Onions
Pin my grilled cheese patty melt recipe and share it with your friends!
Grilled Cheese Patty Melts
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 lb artisan bread loaf Country loaf, Italian or French are good choices
- 4 slices Pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 2 serrano peppers, diced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 tablespoon French fried onions
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- Using the ground chuck, form four burger patties and cook to desired doneness. Set aside.
- Heat an electric griddle to 300 degrees.
- Cut bread into 3/4-inch thick slices and butter one side of each piece. Start assembling the sandwiches. For each sandwich: slice of bread (butter to outside), cheese, diced peppers, cooked burger patty, French fried onions, bacon and BBQ sauce, dividing ingredients between the four sandwiches. Place sandwich butter side down on the griddle and grill until bread is golden brown and cheese is melting. Flip over and grill the other side.