Tater tot casserole is a classic. How could you not love a steaming hot meal of beef, potatoes, melty cheese and plump, perky peas in a delicious creamy sauce?
And it’s a casserole!
The Midwest is casserole country and since I hail from that region, casseroles are total feel-good food for me. I never get tired of them!
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
Ingredients for Tater Tot Casserole
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
2 cups frozen peas
1 10.5-oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 28-oz pkg mini tater tots, thawed
1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: crushed red pepper
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
1. Brown ground beef and add salt and pepper to taste. Add green peas and cream of chicken soup.
2. Layer on tater tots.
Tip: I highly recommend using mini tater tots and thawing them (at least partially) before baking the casserole. If you forget, don’t panic; just bake it longer. Tater tots seem to take forever to heat all the way through and it’s not pleasant to bite into a cold one.
3. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese (or your favorite shredded cheese blend) over the tater tots. I like to sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes on mine too.
5. Bake, covered, for about 1 hour. If you’re starting with frozen tater tots, you’ll likely need to bake it for about 1 1/2 hours in order to make sure the tots are heated through all the way.
Pin this recipe to Pinterest!
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef browned and drained
- 16 oz pkg frozen peas, thawed
- 1 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 32 oz pkg frozen tater tots thawed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and add salt and pepper to taste. Add to casserole dish Stir in cream of chicken soup and peas. Add crushed red pepper, if desired.
- Top with tater tots. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tater tots.
- Bake, covered, for about 1 hour if tater tots are partially thawed. If they're completely frozen, you'll likely need to bake it for about 1 1/2 hours in order to make sure the tots are completely heated through.