This tomato tortellini soup recipe is incredible!
Loaded with soft and tender cheese tortellini, this soup is packed with flavor and a little zing! You’re going to want to lick the bowl — the broth is that good.
Ingredients for Tortellini Soup
- Olive oil – for sauteeing
- Onion – sweet yellow onion
- Frozen cheese tortellini
- Tomato soup
- Spicy V8 juice – this gives the perfect amount of zing to the soup
- Milk – whole milk is best for creaminess
- Basil – dried
- Oregano – dried
- Optional – crushed red pepper flakes (recommended if you want to kick the zestiness up a notch)
How to make Tomato Tortellini Soup
Saute onion for several minutes until fragrant and soft. Add garlic; saute for another minute. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a large saucepan for the tortellini.
Add the tomato soup and tomato juice to the onions and garlic, then add milk and spices.
Add the carrots and tortellini pasta to the boiling water and cook according to tortellini package boiling directions. I usually add the carrots when the water starts to bubble on the bottom and then add the tortellini when it reaches a full boil.
Do I have to cook the carrots with the tortellini?
Nope. If you’d rather saute the carrots along with the onions, go for it. I do it both ways, depending on my mood.
The biggest difference is that with sauteeing, you have clear control over how tender your carrots get.
With boiling, they may not tenderize as much because the cooking time for tortellini is fairly short. My workaround for that is to add the carrots before the water boils to give them a little extra cook time before the pasta is added.
Let the tomato soup mixture simmer about ten minutes and while the tortellini cooks.
Drain the tortellini and carrots and stir into the soup.
Oh my gosh, how I love tomato tortellini soup!
You’re going to love it; get ready to slurp up every last drop!
What to serve with tomato tortellini soup
You can’t go wrong with caprese-style paninis or a fresh caprese salad
Other recipes you may love:
Try this cheese tortellini with blackened chicken recipe too!
Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
Pin this homemade tortellini soup recipe to Pinterest!
Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 2 9-oz pkg frozen tortellini
- 1 10 3/4-oz can tomato soup
- 3 cups spicy V8 juice
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Saute onions and carrots and garlic in olive oil until fragrant and tender. Add garlic, saute another minute. Stir in tomato soup and tomato juice. Add milk, basil and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. When it starts to bubble on the bottom add carrots to water. Cook tortellini according to package boiling directions. Drain and add to simmering soup mixture. Stir to heat through and serve.