I’ve always had trouble getting my kids to eat breakfast on Christmas morning. Who wants to stop and eat when there are stockings to open and gifts to unwrap? But I’ve learned that if I pop something in the oven while the holiday merriment is underway, the wafting aroma will finally have them asking for breakfast. This year, I’m serving Betty Crocker™ Au Gratin Potatoes Sausage Casserole.
I’ve been enjoying Betty Crocker™ Potato Mixes since childhood when they made regular appearances on the dinner table, and for years I’ve been eating them directly as prepared on the box. They’re tasty!
But I love to play around with potato side dish recipes, so I thought to myself….what else could I make with Betty Crocker™ Au Gratin Potatoes? Sausage casserole popped into my head, and that was that.
Christmas breakfast 2014.
Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes Sausage Casserole
Step 1: Get your Betty on. Prepare the potatoes exactly as the box tells you to, but don’t bake them yet!
Step 2: Add your fixins. I used a spicy breakfast sausage, chopped green peppers and diced onions. You can do a mild sausage if your tastebuds demand it, and you can throw any other fixins into the casserole that your little heart desires.
Step 3: Now bake your Betty.
Step 4: You’re on your own. Pick up your fork and get to it!
Betty Crocker Potato Mixes use 100% real potatoes for the best flavor available. Try the 11 different varieties of casserole potatoes: Au Gratin, Scalloped, Three Cheese, Cheesy Scalloped, Julienne, Loaded Casserole, Sour Cream & Chives, Parmesan & Asiago, Cheesy Hashbrown, Cheddar Bacon and Roasted Garlic.
Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes & Sausage CasserolePerk up a package of Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes with fixin's to turn it into the ultimate breakfast casserole.Prep Time 10 minutesCook Time 25 minutesTotal Time 35 minutesServings 5Calories 232.58 kcal
- 1 box Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1/2 pound spicy or mild breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook ground sausage, and drain off extra grease. Set aside.
- Prepare Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes, as directed on box prior to baking.
- Stir in sausage, green peppers and diced onion. Bake potatoes as directed on package. Stir before serving.Nutrition FactsBetty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes & Sausage CasseroleAmount Per ServingCalories 232.58 Calories from Fat 108% Daily Value*Fat 12.05g19%Saturated Fat 4g25%Cholesterol 32.66mg11%Sodium 739.03mg32%Potassium 557.21mg16%Carbohydrates 23.09g8%Fiber 1.26g5%Sugar 0.52g1%Protein 9g18%Vitamin A 61.58IU1%Vitamin C 6.9mg8%Calcium 4.08mg0%Iron 0.5mg3%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.