If you’ve ever wondered about cooking frozen pierogies or didn’t know what to serve with pierogies, buy a bag next time you’re shopping or doing grocery pick-up, and make this easy pierogi recipe. It’s a delicious ground beef and veggie pierogi skillet.
What are Pierogies?
Pierogies are dough dumplings usually stuffed with mashed potatoes, meat, cheese, or vegetables.
Cooking Frozen Pierogies
Traditionally, pierogies are handmade, boiled, and pan-fried, but if you start with store-bought frozen pierogies, you’ve got plenty of options.
Frozen pierogies are already fully cooked (look on the box to make sure), so cooking frozen pierogies is really about heating them through using one of the following cooking methods.
- Sauté – Heat butter or olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add pierogies, spaced apart, and saute about 8 minutes, 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Bake – Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray both sides of pierogies with olive oil and place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 18-20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Boil – Add to salted boiling water, stirring occasionally so pierogies don’t stick. Cook until pierogies float to the top (about 5 minutes)
- Air Fry – Preheat air fryer to 355 degrees. Spray pierogies with olive oil and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Deep Fry – Heat oil to 350 degrees. Add pierogies gently with slotted spoon and cook about 4 minutes or until floating and golden brown. Let drain on paper towel.
- Steam – Place pierogies in tray of water-filled steamer. Replace lid tightly. Steam 8-10 minutes.
- Grill – Preheat grill to 400 degrees. Spray both sides of pierogies with olive oil and place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Cook 10-12 minutes.
- Microwave – Place pierogies in a microwave-safe bowl and completely cover with water. Microwave on high power for 6-7 minutes. Drain and serve.
What to Serve with Pierogies
Pierogies are often served with melted butter, fried onions, fried bacon, mushrooms and sour cream, but deciding what to serve with pierogies is only limited to your imagination.
I’ve seen sweet and savory combinations of all kinds and this ground beef and veggie pierogi skillet is an easy pierogi recipe and a great place to start.
Ingredients for a One-Pan Easy Pierogi Recipe
- Ground beef
- Beef broth
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Dried parsley
- Dried rosemary
- Red pepper flakes
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Frozen pierogies
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to make Ground Beef and Veggie Pierogie Skillet
Start by cooking ground beef and onions in a large skillet.
Next, you’ll add the flour and spices.
Then comes the broth and it’s all cooked until it thickens into a nice hearty sauce.
Once the pierogi gravy is ready, you’ll add the pierogies and veggies.
See how easy cooking frozen pierogies can be?
Don’t the pierogies look good already?
I recommend testing one just to make sure they’re hot all the way through, but when they’re ready, you’ll sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese and stir it in until melted.
You could also just let it melt on top, if you’d prefer.
And that’s it! It’s such an easy pierogi recipe and super tasty! Enjoy!
Ground Beef and Veggie Pierogie Skillet
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 14.5 oz can beef broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes use more if you like it spicier
- 1 10-oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables cooked and drained
- 1 16 oz pkg frozen pre-cooked potato and cheese pierogies
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, adding onion in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Stir in flour and spices, then gradually add broth. Bring to a boil and let cook for for a minute or two until thickened, stirring continuously.
- Add pierogies and vegetables, mixing in to coat with sauce. Cook, covered for about 5 minutes, until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.