This Southwest skillet recipe has a rich, beefy flavor and is loaded with rice and beans and topped with a layer of melted cheese. It’s perfect for scooping up with tortilla chips. Yum!
If you love my Frito pie casserole, you’ll definitely love this recipe too!
Ingredients for this delicious ground beef skillet recipe
- ground beef
- condensed beefy mushroom soup
- whole peeled tomatoes – cut them up into small pieces. You could use diced but whole peeled have a fresher flavor.
- kidney beans – light or dark. I use light because the skins are more tender
- black beans
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- minced onion
- black pepper
- instant rice
- shredded Cheddar cheese – use your favorite flavor. I tend to use Mexican blend.
- tortilla chips
How to make this Southwest hamburger skillet recipe
Easy peasy! Brown the ground beef in a skillet and drain off grease. Add onions and green peppers; saute until tender.
Then add everything else except the rice and cheese. Mix it up, bring to a boil then let simmer for a bit.
Add the rice and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
Finally, add the cheese and let it melt before serving.
Scoop up all the goodness!
Use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
I like to slice jalapenos over the top, but you could also dice them and mix them in with the ingredients.
Add whole kernel corn.
Try different kinds of beans!
Instead of using whole peeled tomatoes, use a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles for extra heat.
What to serve with a taco skillet
Use tortilla chips to scoop it up or just eat it with a fork like a casserole. I’ve done it both ways, but it’s always more fun to scoop it!
Other ground beef and rice recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 10 3/4 oz condensed beefy mushroom soup
- 1 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes with juice cut into pieces
- 1 15 oz can light or dark red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off grease.
- Stir in everything but rice and cheese and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir rice into the skillet. Cover and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Top with cheese; cover and let melt. Serve with chips for dipping.