This stuffed breakfast potatoes recipe post was sponsored by Southeastern Mills as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
These Stuffed Breakfast Potatoes are loaded with bacon, sausage, peppered gravy, chives, cheese and eggs. They take potatoes from a side dish to a complete meal.
I love making special breakfasts on holiday mornings and these loaded breakfast potatoes have become one of our family favorites. They’re hearty, delicious, satisfying, and surprisingly simple to prepare.
Ingredients for breakfast stuffed potatoes
Exact ingredients and measurements are included in the printable recipe card below.
- Baking potatoes (one per person), cooked
- sausage crumbles
- Southeastern Mills Peppered Gravy Mix
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- chopped chives
- salt and pepper
Which peppered gravy mix should I use?
Well, if you’re looking for made from scratch quality (and who isn’t?) then go with Southeastern Mills Baking and Gravy Mixes for the absolute best flavor. Plus, they’re super convenient and make meal prep easy during this crazy busy holiday season. And as you’ll see in this breakfast potato recipe, they can be used in unique and non-traditional ways to complement any meal!
How to prepare peppered gravy
Follow the package directions, but for Southeastern Mills Peppered Gravy (which I recommend), add water to a saucepan and whisk in the gravy mix until combined. Bring to a boil and simmer for a minute or two until the mixture thickens into the perfect peppered gravy.
How to cook baked potatoes
Oven: Scrub and dry potatoes. Prick holes in them and place in a 400-degree oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, checking for doneness with a fork. (Cook time will vary depending on potato size and oven.)
Microwave: Scrub and dry potatoes, then prick holes in them. Place in an unsealed freezer bag and cook on high about 6 minutes, then check for doneness. (Cook time will vary depending on potato size and microwave power.)
How to make stuffed breakfast potatoes
It’s so easy! Carefully split open the hot baked potatoes and start layering in the ingredients:
Per cooked potato:
- one pat of butter
- 2 tablespoons sausage crumbles
- 2 tablespoons peppered gravy
- 1 scrambled egg
- 2 more tablespoons peppered gravy
- 3 tablespoons cheese
- 2 strips bacon, crumbled
Then bake the potatoes for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped chives and a spoonful of peppered gravy. Salt and pepper to taste.
It’s such a delicious way to serve baked potatoes for breakfast.
Can breakfast stuffed potatoes be prepared in advance?
Yep. You could bake the potatoes the night before and store in the refrigerator until morning, assembling then. Or you could completely assemble the potatoes the night before and just reheat the filled boats the next day in the oven. Either way, because they’re starting chilled, they may take longer than 15 minutes to really heat through.
They’ll always be the best when you bake and fill the same day, but for busy holiday mornings, the convenience of prep-ahead breakfast recipes can’t be denied.
Variations for breakfast baked potato boats
- Add green peppers, onions or mushrooms.
- Try Monterey Jack, Gruyere, American or Fontina cheese instead of Cheddar.
Stuffed Breakfast Potatoes
- 1 large baking potato one per person, cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sausage crumbles
- 1 egg scrambled
- 4 tablespoons Southeastern Mills Peppered Gravy Mix prepared
- 3 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 strips bacon crumbled
- chopped chives for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Split open cooked baked potato and layer in the following ingredients. Per cooked potato: one pat of butter, 2 tablespoons sausage crumbles, 2 tablespoons peppered gravy, 1 scrambled egg, 2 more tablespoons peppered gravy, 3 tablespoons cheese, 2 strips bacon, crumbled.
- Bake potato for about 15 minutes or just long enough to heat ingredients and melt the cheese. Garnish with chopped chives and serve with extra peppered gravy.
Include Southeastern Mills Baking and Gravy Mixes in your holiday dishes for a taste of homemade made simple.