I love this Japanese pan noodles recipe! I want ALL the noodles!
In essence, it’s a copycat version of the Japanese pan noodles I always order from Noodles & Company except I add a few other veggies to my noodle bowls.
I just love eating noodles in anything and everything, and since Asian noodles are so versatile, I’ve begun cooking with them a heck of a lot. I’m particularly fond of udon noodles, for their thickness, texture and taste.
Ingredients for Asian-style pan noodles
- Udon noodles (they’re available in pre-cooked and uncooked varieties). They can be difficult to find in traditional grocery stores but thankfully, there’s always Amazon.
- olive oil
- broccoli florets
- water chestnuts
- shelled edamame
- fresh ginger
- sesame seeds
- Teriyaki sauce
- hot chili oil
- soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- bean sprouts
How to prepare Japanese pan noodles
Cook the udon noodles according to package directions; rinse and set aside.
Saute the chopped veggies in the skillet to desired firmness. If you like crunchy, it’ll take about 5 minutes. I like them tender, so I saute for about 10 minutes. Then put them in a separate bowl.
Saute the garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes.
Then add the noodles, veggie mixture, sauces and sesame seeds.
Stir together letting the noodles soak up some of the sauce and then remove from heat.
All that’s left is to garnish with some bean sprouts and chopped cilantro. Dinnertime!
What to serve with an Asian noodle bowl
Try adding a protein like shrimp or chicken to make it even heartier. I’m not much of a mushroom person, but they’d be wonderful with these Japanese pan noodles if you like them. And for dessert, try these scrumptious ginger cookies.
Other Japanese recipes you may enjoy:
Japanese Pan Noodles
- 2 12 oz pkg Udon noodles
- 6 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots julienned or chopped
- 1 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds white or black
- 6 Tbsp Teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbsp hot chili oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Asian sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook noodles. Rinse. Set aside.
- Using 3 tbsp olive oil, stir fry broccoli, celery, carrots, water chestnuts and edamame for 5 minutes (crunchy) to 10 minutes (tender). Place in a bowl and set aside.,
- Add 3 more tbsp olive oil to the pan, and saute garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add noodles to pan; saute until the noodles start to caramelize slightly.
- Add vegetable mix and sesame seeds to the noodle pan. Stir together over heat.
- Add Teriyaki sauce, chili oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Remove from heat and mix well.
- Serve with a garnish of cilantro and bean sprouts.