From start to finish, it’s ready in just 60 minutes, but I have a time-saving cheat (below) to help you make it even faster on busy days.
Why This Recipe Works
It’s a hearty and flavorful soup filled with veggies and swirls of tender pasta noodles. It’s light enough to cook year-round and easy enough to throw together on busy weeknights. It’s also easily customizable according to what you have on hand in your fridge and pantry.
- Ground beef – I usually use an 85/15 blend but you could also use 80/20.
- Egg noodles – I really like big, slurpy noodles so I use wide (or even extra-wide) egg noodles, but elbow macaroni and rotini would be hearty and delicious in hamburger pasta soup too.
- Mixed veggies – A frozen bag of mixed veggies makes this as simple as can be, but feel free to throw in any leftover veggies you have. Beans, carrots, corn, zucchini, peas, it’s up to you!
- Beef broth – I typically make beef broth on the fly with bouillon, but you could absolutely use canned broth if you have that on hand. And… you can use chicken broth if you prefer.
Step 1: In stockpot, cook ground beef and onion until browned. Drain off grease.
Step 2: Add tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaves, salt, pepper, celery and mixed veggies. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Step 3: Add egg noodles, return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Time-saving Tip: If you want to cook the pasta separately to the al dente stage, you can. Then just stir the noodles in at the end when the veggies are tender and let simmer for 5 minutes or so before serving.
Of course. The flavor will change slightly, but it will still be delicious.
I like the soup broth-y (is that a word?) but you could thicken it a bit if you prefer. When the veggies are tender, scoop a cup of the hot broth into a separate bowl and whisk in 1/4 cup of flour until smooth. Add the mixture back to the stockpot. Stir and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
Sure! You could use potatoes in place of pasta if you’d like. Peel and chop two medium potatoes into small cubes and add them along with the veggies.
What to Serve with Hamburger Pasta Soup
I love thick slices of warm bread with hamburger soup, so I usually pull a loaf out of my Wildgrain box. If you haven’t tried Wildgrain yet, do it! Plus, you’ll save $10… you’re welcome. I also love this soup served with grilled cheese!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Hamburger Noodle Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large onion chopped
- 16 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup celery diced
- 10 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup medium or wide egg noodles uncooked
- In stockpot, cook ground beef and onion until browned. Drain off grease. Add tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaves, salt, pepper, celery and mixed veggies. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add egg noodles, return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.