Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is creamy, comforting, and full of zesty flavor! Loaded with chicken, black beans, corn, cheese, and Tex-Mex spices, it’s the perfect feel-good meal to warm up your insides.
Since everything is tossed into a crockpot, chicken tortilla soup is easier than ever to prep and prepare. Plus, it cooks in just a few hours so you can start it in the afternoon, not at the crack of dawn.
Love Southwest flavor? Try this Chicken Pozole Verde recipe too!
Why You’ll Love Creamy Tortilla Soup
- Full of Tex-Mex flavor.
- It can be a meal in itself or a Taco Tuesday side dish.
- Simple prep in just 10-15 minutes.
- The slow cooker does all the work!
- Easy to customize with your favorite ingredients.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Crockpot Ingredients
- Chicken – two chicken breasts cut into small pieces. Alternatively, add whole chicken breasts and shred the meat at the end.
- Corn tortillas – add subtle flavor and thicken the soup.
- Picante sauce – I use HOT! for extra zing, but you can use mild or medium.
- Tomatoes with green chiles – The classic Ro*tel is perfect, or you can use hot.
- Cheese – We love this with shredded sharp cheddar. Monterey Jack or a Mexican blend would also be delicious.
- Corn – Use frozen (or fresh), not canned.
- Cream of chicken soup – shortcut to add flavor and creaminess.
- Black beans – rich in plant-based protein and fiber.
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Step 1: Add everything but the corn tortilla strips, cheese and cilantro to the slow cooker; stir together. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
Step 2: Stir in tortilla strips and shredded cheese about 30 minutes before serving.
Step 3: Top individual servings of slow cooker chicken tortilla soup as desired. Enjoy!
Topping Ideas for White Chicken Tortilla Soup
- crunchy tortilla strips
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
- avocado slices
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- green onion
- sliced black olives
More Tasty Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast (approx. 2 breasts) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup picante sauce hot or mild
- 2 10 ¾-oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 soup can water
- 1 can black beans rinsed, drained
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 oz frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 4 corn tortillas 6-inch, cut into strips
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping, if desired
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Add everything but the corn tortilla strips, cheese and cilantro to the slow cooker; stir together. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in tortilla strips and shredded cheese about 30 minutes before serving.
- Top individual servings of slow cooker chicken tortilla soup as desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply