This chicken pozole verde recipe (green posole) slow cooker soup is incredibly flavorful. It’s one of the most comforting soups I make and since it’s a crockpot soup, it’s super easy to throw together.
One of the oldest traditional Mexican soups or stews. The key ingredient is hominy.
Green pozole has a sauce made from green ingredients such as tomatillos, cilantro and jalapenos. Red pozole has a red sauce made from chiles such as guajillo, ancho or piquin.
Ingredients for Green Chile Posole
Scroll down to printable recipe card for exact amounts and directions.
- salsa verde
- chicken broth
- frozen corn
- green chiles
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- white pepper
- garnish with fresh cilantro and tortilla strips
Substitutions or Additions
- A diced jalapeno or two will add a nice kick of spice to the soup. I usually add at least one.
- If you don’t have white pepper (slightly milder than black pepper), you can absolutely use black pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with shredded cabbage, radishes, avocado or lime.
- Add crumbled cotija or oaxaca cheese on top.
Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe Instructions
STEP 1: Place all ingredients except hominy and cilantro in the slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender and cooked through.
STEP 2: Carefully remove the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
STEP 3: Return to slow cooker. Stir in hominy and continue cooking on low for 30 minutes.
STEP 4: Ladle soup into bowls and serve topped with tortilla chips and chopped cilantro.
Other soup recipes you should try:
- Cheesy Potato Soup with Bacon (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- Creamy Vegan Cauliflower and Rice Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup (Vegan)
- Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Chicken Pozole Verde
- Slow cooker crockpot
- 2 15 oz cans white hominy, drained
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa verde
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen corn
- ½ cup green chilies, diced or 3 jalapenos, diced
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- cilantro, for garnish
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips, for garnish
- Place all ingredients except hominy and garnishes into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Take chicken out of slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker along with the hominy and cook for another 30 minutes. Ladle into bowl, add cheese, crush tortilla chips.