This creamy sweet potato and sunchoke soup is absolutely delicious and the perfect way to welcome in the fall season. This sponsored recipe post is part of our week-long Flavors of Fall event and I’m excited to share this comforting fall recipe with everyone.
Scroll down to see what the other bloggers are cooking up today and to enter our fabulous Fall Flavors giveaway.
My sweet potato and sunchoke soup recipe was actually inspired by a pumpkin soup I tried at a hotel in downtown Baton Rouge earlier this year. I haven’t been able to get that soup out of my mind so I decided to recreate it myself using sweet potatoes and sunflower chokes.
I am so, so happy with how it came out. It’s nearly the perfect knock-off and I don’t have to dream about that soup anymore. I can make my own creamy feel-good Autumn soup.
It’s smooth, flavorful and has the tiniest hint of heat from red pepper. It’s SCRUMPTIOUS.
Ingredients for sunchoke and sweet potato soup
- olive oil
- fresh ginger
- sweet potatoes
- vegetable broth
- ground red pepper
What are sunchokes?
Sunchokes, short for sunflower chokes are a root vegetable relative of the sunflower. They’re definitely odd looking with their tubelike shape and knobby bumps!
They can be eaten raw (they’d be wonderful thinly sliced or grated on a salad) and since they’re very similar in texture to potatoes, they can be prepared like any other root vegetable: roasted, mashed, fried, grilled, boiled, etc.
Start with my sunchoke recipe and go from there!
Tip: Sunchokes are very dirty so take care to brush and rinse them well before using. The thin skin is edible, but I prefer to peel most of it off.
My sweet potatoes and sunflower chokes were provided by Melissa’s Produce for the Fall Flavors event.
How to make sweet potato and sunchoke soup
Step 1: Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and jalapeno. Saute for several minutes, stirring constantly so they don’t burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2: In a large stockpot, add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, sunchokes, salt, pepper, cumin and red pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, let boil for 20-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and sunchokes are fork-tender. Sprinkle in cilantro.
Step 3: Puree in batches in a blender or use a stick immersion blender. Return batches to pot and stir well. It’s dinnertime!
Serve the soup topped with pepitas and extra cilantro, if desired.
Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger grated, minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes (2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 lb sunflower chokes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin did we add this? or 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in saucepan. Add onion, ginger, jalapeno and garlic. Saute for several minutes, stirring constantly so they don't burn. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In large stockpot, add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, sunchokes, salt, pepper, cumin and red pepper, if using. Bring to a boil; cover, let boil for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Add cilantro.
- Puree in batches in a blender or use a stick immersion blender. Return to pot and serve topped with pepitas and extra cilantro, if desired.
FALL FLAVORS GIVEAWAY
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Taylor and Colledge is giving away a variety of their baking pastes. Your fall and holiday baked goods will wow your family and guests.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If they do not respond within that time they forfeit, and a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.
Monday Fall Recipes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole by That Recipe
- Apple Pie Tacos Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars by Lemon Blossoms
- Apple Tea-ramisu by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Crisp by Big Bears Wife
- Caramel Apple Empanadas by Take Two Tapas
- Caramel Apple Ice Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Swirl Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup by Eat Move Make
- Easy Sausage And Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner by Intelligent Domestications
- Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Fall Punch Mocktail by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Fall Vegetable Breakfast Hash by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Green Appletini Martini by Art of Natural Living
- Grilled Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Walnut Vinaigrette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Meyer Lemon Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pear Almond Crumble Pie by Savory Moments
- Pear Brown Betty by Cookaholic Wife
- Plum Kuchen by Palatable Pastime
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes, Fennel, and Leeks by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Smashed Roasted Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Toasted Pecan Filling by Books n’ Cooks
- Sunchoke Ricotta Gnocchi with Walnut Thyme Butter Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie
Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Dixie Crystals, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own. The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.