Roasted red pepper soup with potatoes is a delicious vegetarian soup, perfect for cold and dreary days.
The bold and smoky roasted red peppers and potatoes are pureed into a creamy and flavorful bowl of yumminess and it’s even better the next day!
Ingredients for Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup
- olive oil
- roasted sweet red peppers, undrained
- chopped green chiles
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- diced gold potatoes
- vegetable broth
- fresh cilantro
- lemon juice
- cream cheese – cut a block into cubes or use spreadable cream cheese
Step 1: Heat oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven or large saucepan and saute onions for 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant. Stir in the roasted red peppers, chiles, cumin, salt and coriander and continue cooking and stirring for a few minutes.
Step 2: Stir in the vegetable broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes). Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice. Let cool slightly.
Step 3: In a blender, puree the cream cheese and half of the soup until smooth.
Step 4: Return the pureed mixture to pan; stir in well and heat through before serving.
Chop away to your desired size. I do like leaving some of them in chunks; they look pretty in the soup.
Roasting deepens the flavor and brings out the sweetness and smokiness of the pepper. It also makes it easy to remove the tough skins.
Of course, but if you’re short on time the jarred roasted red peppers are great.
For most soups and stews, a waxy potato or Yukon Gold is best as they don’t release as much starch and will hold up better.
Let the soup cool a smidge and then pour half of it into a heavy-duty blender along with the cream cheese. (I like using plastic blender containers for safety.) Puree for a minute or two until creamy.
Other soup recipes you’ll love
- Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup with Bacon
- Sweet Potato Sunchoke Soup
- Instant Pot Bacon, Corn and Potato Chowder
- Tomato Tortellini
Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Potatoes
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 oz roasted sweet red peppers undrained and chopped
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes waxy, boiling potatoes or Yukon Gold
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup cream cheese cubed or spreadable
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven or large saucepan and saute onions 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant. Stir in the chopped, roasted red peppers, chiles, cumin, salt and coriander and cook for a couple more minutes. Add vegetable broth and potatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Let cool slightly.
- In a blender, puree the cream cheese and half of the soup until smooth. Return mixture to pan with remaining soup; stir in well and let simmer for about 15 minutes before serving.