This creamy chicken pot pie noodle casserole has all the warm, soothing goodness of chicken pot pie but skips the crust and uses noodles instead. Even better, it’s a one-pot chicken pot pie pasta so there’s less mess to clean up after dinner.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE VEGGIES IN THE CHICKEN POT PIE NOODLE CASSEROLE?
Of course, you can. Choose the veggies you like best (I think broccoli would be be yummy), but fresh veggies should be sauteed until tender.
I also prefer using frozen peas rather than canned peas in this dish. Canned peas have a funky taste to me, so unless it’s a stew or a hearty sauce that will mask the “canned” flavor, I always use frozen peas.
If you use frozen mixed vegetables, I’d probably pre-cook them before adding. Frozen green beans and larger carrot pieces often retain a tougher texture (even after cooking sometimes) so I’d go with the steam-in-the-bag variety and cook according to package directions before adding.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE PASTA?
You bet! I like the farfalle (bow-tie pasta) because there are all kinds of folds and crevices for the sauce to hide, but truly, this chicken pot pie hot dish could be made with any pasta.
CAN YOU FREEZE CHICKEN POT PIE PASTA LEFTOVERS?
Absolutely. I always freeze my leftovers in single-serve portions and reheat in my microwave using the ‘frozen entree’ setting. It comes out perfectly. I love my microwave, by the way. It’s so quiet!
CHICKEN POT PIE NOODLE CASSEROLE
Pin this chicken pot pie pasta to Pinterest!
The recipe comes from a cookbook I was given for review a while back: The Defined Dish: Healthy and Wholesome Weeknight Recipes by Alex Snodgrass and I love it. I don’t usually post more than one recipe from a review cookbook, but I couldn’t resist. It’s such a good cookbook! Get a copy!
Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Casserole
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 12 ounces gluten-free farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk (dairy-free option: 1 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk and 1 cup water)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups diced chicken
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until veggies are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add in the pasta, chicken broth, milk, thyme, paprika, garlic powder and sage, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender and cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas, diced chicken, parsley and lemon. Remove from heat and cover. Let stand until the peas are just cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Taste and add additional seasoning, if desired.
Try this pepper steak pot pie recipe too!