Giddy up! This cowboy cornbread casserole recipe is the perfect way to call the family into dinner.
It’s a tasty skillet meal loaded with ground beef, peppers, onions and baked beans and topped with a layer of cornbread for a hearty meal the whole gang will love.
Cowboy Cornbread Casserole Ingredients
Scroll down to find a printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.
- ground beef
- red peppers
- baked beans
- fajita seasoning
- Jiffy corn muffin mix (or any cornbread mix of the same size)
Cowboy Cornbread Skillet Instructions
Add ground beef, red peppers and onions to a large oven-safe skillet. Cook until the beef is cooked, onions are translucent and peppers have tenderized. Drain off any extra grease.
Stir in the beans and fajita seasoning and heat through.
In a separate bowl, mix the Jiffy mix with milk and egg and spread over the top of the bean mixture. You can spread it all the way to the edge or leave the edges peeking for a bit of color.
Bake the skillet in the oven for about 20 minutes; sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Serve immediately and enjoy! It’s a tasty and satisfying dinner.
Tips and Recipe Variations
- Instead of ground beef, use ground sausage, ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Use taco seasoning instead of fajita seasoning.
- Add a can of diced green chiles.
- Add a zesty kick with some diced jalapeno peppers.
- Add whole kernel corn to the bean mixture.
- Try different flavor varieties of baked beans. I usually use my go-to vegetarian, but a spicy version would be yummy!
- You could also replace the bean mixture with leftover homemade chili.
Other casserole recipes you’ll love:
- Creamy chicken broccoli casserole
- Pepperoni pizza skillet
- American goulash
- Chicken orzo casserole
- Ground beef and veggie pierogie skillet
- Easy chili mac
- Pizza casserole
- French onion ground beef casserole
- Four cheese mac and cheese with bacon
Cowboy Cornbread Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 red peppers cored, de-seeded and cut into 2-inch squares
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 28 oz can baked beans
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 8.5 oz pkg cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- Add ground beef, red peppers and onion in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until ground beef is browned, onion is translucent and peppers have tenderized. Drain.
- Stir in the beans and fajita seasoning, stirring regularly as you heat the mixture.
- In separate bowl, mix cornbread mix with egg and milk according to package directions. Spread evenly over meat mixture in skillet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool briefly before slicing and serving. Serves 6.