French onion ground beef casserole — come and get it! This delicious ground beef casserole with french fried onions is a much-beloved favorite from my childhood potluck hotdish days.
Casseroles are my jam; there’s no doubt about it. They’re always hot and satisfying and they remind me of the Midwest. I’ll never move back to the wintry north… but I love the feeling of “home” and I can easily bring that to my dinner table sans the snow.
Sometimes I make old family favorites like this ground beef casserole with french fried onions, and sometimes I just toss this and that together and make up new casserole recipes. But they’re always hot, hearty and feel-good delicious.
Ingredients for French onion ground beef casserole recipe
- elbow macaroni
- ground beef
- cream of mushroom soup
- diced tomatoes
- diced green chiles
- Mrs. Dash Original seasoning
- French fried onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make ground beef casserole with French fried onions
Honestly what I love most about casseroles is that it’s hard to screw them up. Add something, omit something… casseroles don’t care. Somehow everything just comes together and it works no matter how you twist things.
But, here’s how I make this crunchy beef casserole bake.
Step 1: Prepare elbow mac according to package directions; drain. While it’s boiling, brown the ground beef, crumbling as it cooks. Drain off extra grease.
Step 2: In large bowl, combine all ingredients, using just half the onions. Set the other half aside. Pour the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish or 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
Step 3: Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining half of onions on top and bake, uncovered for another 5 minutes.
Variations and substitutions
Substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.
Add a cup of frozen corn.
Add a can of canned green beans.
For a little kick, add a small amount of red pepper flakes.
Try making it with chow mein noodles.
French Onion Ground Beef Casserole
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chili peppers, drained
- ¾ tsp Mrs. Dash original seasoning blend
- 1 3 oz pkg French Fried onions
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- While pasta is cooking, brown ground beef; drain off fat.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish or 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine all ingredients, using HALF the onions and reserving the other half.
- Cover; bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining onions on top and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.