If you’ve ever been to New Orleans, you’ve probably had a muffuletta sandwich filled with something very similar to this muffuletta olive salad recipe. Some people call it olive spread and some call it olive tapenade, but everyone calls it delicious!
Of course, there’s also debate on whether to spell muffuletta as muffaletta. Either one will get you a sandwich, so I don’t think it matters.
You know what does matter? The olives! And you can’t go wrong when you make olive salad with the best olives.
Ingredients for Olive Salad for Muffalettas
- pitted Kalamata Greek olives
- jalapeno stuffed queen olives
- roasted red peppers
- Italian parsley
- red pepper flakes
- red wine vinegar
- round Italian loaf
- Swiss cheese
- Provolone cheese
How to make muffaletta olive spread
Dice up the olives and all the other goodies that will be mixed together for the muffuletta olive salad.
I like everything diced fine, but I’m sure some people love a chunky olive salad, so chop in a way that makes you happy.
Once you mix all the olive spread ingredients together, cover and put in the fridge to let all those flavors marry for a while. Ideally, you’ll leave it overnight, but let it set at least a couple of hours if you can.
(Extra olive salad will stay fresh in the fridge — more muffulettas for you!)
Muffuletta bread is a thing in and of itself, but if you find an uncut round Italian loaf, it will work just fine.
Cut that baby in half side to side, not top to bottom. You want the whole top and the whole bottom intact. Then spread the olive salad over the inside portions of the bottom half. YUM!
Then start layering your meats and cheeses on top of the muffuletta olive spread.
Put more olive salad on the inside of the top bread half and put the GIANT muffuletta sandwich together.
Cut into four sections and take a bite. It’s absolutely delicious!
I especially love the little kick of heat from the stuffed jalapeno olives — so good!
I hope you love the flavor of this muffuletta olive salad as much as my family and I do.
Not only is perfect on a muffaletta sandwich, it’s wonderful for appetizers. Try spreading the olive tapenade on a crostini. Enjoy!
Olive Spread (Olive Salad) for Muffuletta Sandwiches
- ¾ cup Pearls Specialties Pitted Kalamata Greek Olives diced
- ¾ cup Pearls Specialties Jalapeno Stuffed Queen Olives diced
- ½ cup giardiniera diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons celery diced
- 3 tablespoons roasted red peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf 10-inch round Italian bread loaf unsliced
- ¼ pound mortadella thinly sliced
- ¼ pound salami thinly sliced
- ¼ pound ham thinly sliced
- ¼ pound Swiss cheese thinly sliced
- ¼ pound provolone cheese thinly sliced
Olive Spread (Olive Salad)
- Mix together olives, giardiniera, garlic, celery, red peppers, parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least a few hours, preferably overnight to let flavors blend.
- Cut bread loaf in half from side to side, not top to bottom. Spread a layer of olive tapenade on the inside of each half. Layer slices of mortadella, Swiss, salami, provolone and ham on top of bottom half of loaf. Cover with top half of loaf. Cut into fourths and enjoy!