This Bisquick Impossible Cheeseburger Pie recipe magically forms a tender, flaky crust surrounding the cheesy beef filling as it bakes. It’s impossibly easy and incredibly delicious!
Why is it called Impossible Pie?
The impossible pie recipe first appeared on Bisquick boxes in the ’70s and people have been going nuts over it ever since. It’s such a simple recipe but incredibly delicious!
Nobody seems to know why it was named impossible cheeseburger pie, but it could be because it seems to magically form its own crust when baking.
Or perhaps because it’s so impossibly easy to make.
Ok, I’ll stop.
But, be sure to try this impossible pumpkin pie too… for dessert, perhaps?
Why Everyone Loves Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
- Cheeseburgers are delicious and this has all the yumminess of a great cheeseburger.
- It’s an easy meat pie recipe without the fuss of pastry.
- Simple ingredients
- It forms its own crust!
Ingredients for Bisquick cheeseburger pie
- ground beef
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bisquick Original
How to make Bisquick cheeseburger pie
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9-inch pie plate with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
Step 2: In a skillet, cook the ground beef until brown and crumbled. Add the onion in about halfway through cooking the beef. Drain off any extra grease and mix in the salt.
Step 3: Spread the ground beef crumbles across the bottom of the prepared pie pan. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the ground beef.
Step 4: In a medium bowl, whisk together the Bisquick, milk and eggs until combined then pour the mixture into the pie pan, making sure to spread it all the way to the edges.
Step 5: Bake for about 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into wedges, serve and enjoy!
Impossible hamburger pie substitution ideas
- Add some diced jalapeno along with the onion for a kick of heat or add some red pepper flakes.
- Try it with breakfast sausage and add crumbled, cooked bacon.
- Instead of cheddar cheese, try pepper jack, Swiss Gruyère or mozzarella. In fact, try a combination of cheeses for the best meltiness.
- Sprinkle green onions or chives on top after baking.
- Bring in some crunch with French fried onions or chow mein noodles.
- Throw in a handful of frozen peas or corn.
- Serve with ketchup on the side.
- Replace the ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken.
Yes! Wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
More ground beef recipes you’ll enjoy
- Southwest skillet
- Cheesy beef and wild rice casserole
- Porcupine meatballs
- Curried beef with rice
- Taco casserole
Bisquick Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Original Bisquick™ mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- Cook ground beef until cooked and crumbled, adding onion about halfway through. Drain off any extra grease. Mix in salt.
- Spread ground beef in bottom of pie plate. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of ground beef.
- In medium bowl, whisk together Bisquick, milk and eggs until blended. Pour over cheese and ground beef in pie plate.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.