This Pizza Casserole is a simple, no-fuss twist on classic pizza. With tender, fluffy noodles, seasoned ground beef, tomato and pizza sauces, and a generous layer of melted mozzarella, it’s pizza comfort in a casserole dish. Easy to make, easier to enjoy – our pizza casserole recipe simplifies the pizza experience for a cozy family dinner.
Why We Love This Pizza Casserole Recipe
- Quick and Easy: Simple steps make this Pizza Casserole achievable for anyone. It doesn’t demand much time or effort in the kitchen.
- Family Favorite: It’s like pizza but in a cozy casserole form – something everyone at the table can enjoy.
- Simple Ingredients: Despite the short ingredient list, each bite has satisfying flavors from seasoned beef, sauces, and gooey mozzarella.
- Make It Your Own: Feel free to get creative by adding your favorite pizza toppings or adjusting seasonings to match your taste.
- Comfort in Every Bite: Baked to perfection, this casserole brings the comfort of home-cooked goodness to your plate.
Liz’s Kitchen Memories
I remember my mom used to make this pizza casserole when she had “company” over, so she called it a “company casserole.” We kids were served TV dinners in the kitchen (remember those?) while the guests got to eat things like this pizza casserole. And scrumptious desserts. The only time we got to have any was when her guests were all finished eating, and she’d bring the nearly empty dishes back into the kitchen. Then we’d all grab forks and dig into whatever we could get!
- Extra Wide Noodles: Serve as the base and main carbohydrate component, providing a hearty texture to the casserole.
- Ground Beef: Adds a savory, meaty goodness that makes the casserole satisfying and hearty.
- Tomato Sauce: Brings in a smooth, rich tomato flavor that melds everything together.
- Pizza Sauce: Gives that unmistakable pizza taste, turning this casserole into a delightful twist on the classic.
- Dried Minced Onion: Adds a hint of onion flavor without the chopping hassle – making life a bit simpler.
- Italian Spice Blend: Provides a medley of Italian herbs and spices, adding complexity and depth to the flavor profile.
- Black Pepper: Offers a subtle heat and spice, balancing the flavors in the casserole.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: Melts beautifully to create a gooey, cheesy topping, adding a creamy and indulgent texture to the dish.
Helpful Tips & Recipe Variations
- Make-Ahead: Assemble the casserole ahead of time, cover, and refrigerate. Pop it in the oven when ready for a quick and convenient meal.
- Go Vegetarian: Skip the ground beef and opt for a medley of roasted vegetables for a delicious vegetarian alternative. This pizza casserole recipe is delicious exactly as is minus the meat.
- Customize Your Toppings: Feel free to experiment with additional pizza toppings like bell peppers, olives, or pepperoni to tailor the casserole to your preferences. (Or try my Pepperoni White Pizza Skillet Recipe or Pepperoni Spasagna)
- Cheese Variation: Mix different types of cheese or add a sprinkle of Parmesan for an extra layer of flavor.
- Swap the Noodles: Although I really love using extra-wide noodles in this, you could easily switch to penne, rotini or any of your favorite noodles. Just choose one that will hold on to the sauce well.
- Fresh Herbs: Garnish with fresh herbs like basil or oregano before serving for a burst of freshness.
- Refrigeration: Cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing: For longer storage, wrap the cooled casserole securely in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Label with the date. Freeze for up to 2-3 months.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- 8 oz extra wide noodles
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Italian spice blend
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: red pepper flakes, for a kick of heat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- While noodles are cooking, cook ground beef in frying pan.
- In large bowl, combine noodles, meat and all ingredients EXCEPT cheese. Put half of the mixture in a 9″x13″-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over top. Repeat with remaining meat mixture and cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake 30-40 minutes.