This delicious Chocolate Eclair Cake is an old-fashioned icebox cake (no bake!) made with layers of creamy vanilla pudding and graham crackers and topped with a rich chocolate frosting.
It has all the flavors of a classic eclair dessert but without the work! This eclair cake recipe takes just 20 minutes to prep before chilling.
Ingredients & Notes
- Graham crackers – Use plain graham crackers.
- Vanilla pudding – Instant pudding, not cook-and-serve.
- Whipped topping – You can make homemade whipped cream if you prefer, but store-bought makes it so easy!
Step 1: Line the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan with graham crackers.
Step 2: Place pudding mix in large bowl. Whisk in 3 cups of milk for 1-2 minutes until pudding has thickened. Fold in whipped topping.
Step 3: Spread half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Add another layer of graham crackers and top with the remaining pudding mixture. Finally, add one more layer of crackers on top.
Step 4: On the stove, melt chocolate and butter together over medium-low heat. Stir in corn syrup, powdered sugar, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of milk. Pour and spread over the top of the layered eclair dessert.
Step 5: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 10 hours before serving.
Chocolate Eclair Cake Recipe Variations
- Try another pudding flavor. I’ve made it with chocolate (yum!), but other options include white chocolate, banana cream, cheesecake, and pistachio.
- Add fruit. Try adding some thinly sliced soft fruit. Strawberries, bananas or chopped raspberries or blueberries.
- Instead of plain graham crackers, try layers of chocolate graham crackers or vanilla wafers.
Yes! It needs to sit in the refrigerator for 10 hours before serving, so make it a day ahead of time.
It has to sit for 10 hours! The fridge time gives the graham crackers time to soften and create a cake-like texture.
Leftover chocolate eclair cake should be covered with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Best eaten the day after preparation.
I recommend the easy chocolate frosting in this chocolate eclair cake recipe, but you could use canned frosting. Heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds, stir and pour over the graham cracker layers. Cover and refrigerate as directed in the recipe.
More No-Bake Desserts You’ll Love
Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 1 box graham crackers 3 sleeves
- 2 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Line bottom of 9″ x 13″ pan with whole graham crackers.
- Prepare pudding mix, using only 3 cups milk. (I used one box of vanilla and one box of chocolate this time.)
- Mix in Cool Whip.
- Pour 1/2 of pudding over crackers.
- Next add a layer of crackers, then other half of pudding, and finally one more layer of crackers.
- Melt chocolate and butter together. Stir in corn syrup, sugar, and vanilla.
- Spread over top of layered dessert.
- Cover and refrigerate 10 hours.
- This rich and delicious dessert serves 12-15 people. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply