I had forgotten just how dreamy homemade ice cream was until I made this batch of homemade strawberry ice cream last week.
I may never go back to store-bought! Ok, I lied. I’ll eat them both. I’m not the sort of girl to turn down frozen confections of any kind.
But fresh strawberry ice cream made in an ice cream maker is especially scrumptious!
I bought this Cuisinart 2-quart ice cream maker about six years ago and I absolutely love it but you can use any electric ice cream maker to make this homemade strawberry ice cream recipe.
Ingredients – Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe Cuisinart
- fresh strawberries
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- whole milk
- heavy cream
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Wash, hull and slice the strawberries. If you like chunky strawberries in your ice cream, cut them in half or into thin slices. If you prefer small pieces, dice the strawberries and if you prefer your ice cream smooth, puree them all after macerating.
How to Macerate Strawberries
Sprinkle sugar over the sliced strawberries and use a fork, pastry blender or potato masher to smoosh the strawberries against the side of the bowl, releasing their juices.
Cover the smooshed strawberries with plastic wrap and let sit for 2-3 hours.
Macerating strawberries with sugar softens the berries and draws out the liquids creating a sweet strawberry syrup that enhances the natural flavor of strawberries.
Once the strawberries have macerated, strain the juice and save it.
Then puree half of the macerated strawberries; reserve the other half for a final mix-in. (If you want smooth ice cream, puree it all, but divide the mixture in half.)
In a separate bowl, beat together milk and remaining sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add in cream, strawberry juice, the half portion of pureed strawberries and vanilla.
Pour into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker and turn on. Let churn for about 25 minutes, adding the reserved berry mixture in the last 5 minutes of churning.
The ice cream will be very soft. Pour it into a freezer container and let freeze for several hours until it firms up.
You’re going to love this homemade strawberry ice cream! It’s so fresh and creamy!
Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker – SilverTovolo Sweet Treats 2 Piece 1 Quart Pistachio and Lemon Tub SetTovolo Glide-A-Scoop Ice Cream Tub, 1.5 Quart, Insulated, Airtight Reusable Container With Non-Slip Base, Stackable on Freezer Shelves, BPA-Free, Strawberry SorbetKitchenAid Gourmet Ice Cream Scoop, One Size, Matte Aqua Sky
More homemade ice cream recipes you’ll love
- Blueberry graham cracker ice cream
- Cookie butter crunch ice cream
- Lemon basil cookie crunch ice cream
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 3 cups fresh ripe strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar divided
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries with the lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Stir gently and allow the strawberries to macerate in the juices for 2 hours. Strain the berries, reserving juices. Mash or puree half the berries.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and remaining granulated sugar until sugar dissolves, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, reserved strawberry juice, mashed strawberries and vanilla.
- Turn the ice cream machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Five minutes before mixing is completed, add the reserved sliced strawberries and let mix in completely.