I love these lemon jumbles so much. They’re soft and cakey cookies with a delightful lemon flavor.
They make a perfect spring and summer cookie.
Now about those cookies… let’s make some Lemon Jumbles! They’re cute, soft, lemony and full of love.
You’ll need two eggs for this recipe so add those in and mix. Next comes the lemon juice and lemon peel and finally the flour mixture; mix well. Dough will be moist and sticky.
Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and then sift powdered sugar over the tops. Go heavy with the powdered sugar because it will want to disappear on you. (I can’t believe I forgot to take a photo of that, but I did.)
Bake for 8-10 minutes until set but not brown. It usually only takes me 8 minutes. They will be a very light color so don’t freak out. If they’re set, they’re ready. Don’t let them turn golden!
Once they’ve cooled, sift some more powdered sugar over the tops. It makes them look so pretty!
- 1 cup butter cold
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest or dried lemon peel
- Powdered sugar
- Mix butter, sugar and egg well. Stir in buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Add to rest of ingredients. Chill dough.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top of cookies before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set, but not brown.
- Let cool and then sift more powdered sugar over the top.