Get ready for some Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash yumminess! The crispy, smoky caramelized Brussels sprouts, salty bacon and sweet maple butternut squash will have you screaming for seconds.
If you thought you didn’t like Brussels sprouts (and for the record, even I think they’re horrendous when steamed,) try this roasted maple bacon Brussels sprouts recipe and you’ll be singing a completely different tune.
Why You’ll Love This Side Dish Recipe
- Perfect for the holidays – There won’t be any leftovers; everyone loves this side dish!
- Pairs beautifully with meat entrees – It’s delicious on its own, but it goes perfectly with most any kind of meat, even burgers!
- Roasted veggies are the BEST! Slow-roasting in the oven caramelizes and brings out the ultimate flavor.
- Sweet and savory – The sweetness from the squash and maple syrup balances perfectly with the saltiness of the bacon and the smokiness of the Brussels sprouts.
Ingredients and Tips
- Brussels sprouts – I used some gorgeous purple Brussels sprouts, a sweeter tasting heirloom variety from Melissa’s Produce but standard green Brussels sprouts are a-ok. The important thing is to clean and prep them properly. (I’ll go over this below.)
- Butternut squash – You’ll find butternut squash at most any grocery store in the produce department. Mine is from Melissa’s Produce.
- Maple syrup – REAL maple syrup, folks. Please, please, please don’t use imitation maple syrup. It’s perfectly fine for pancakes and waffles but as an ingredient in recipes, ALWAYS use real maple syrup. I can’t emphasize this enough.
Step 1: Prep the Brussels sprouts. I’m not gonna lie… it’s a process, but it’s gotta be done.
How to Prep Brussels Sprouts
Rinse them well in a bowl of cold water and then trim the woody ends.
Peel away the yellowish and outer leaves. Be sure to inspect the sprouts for aphids. If you find any detritus, keep peeling away the leaves until it’s clean. I only found aphid evidence once in my batch from Melissa’s Produce, but when I bought Brussels sprouts at the grocery store last weekend, I had twelve that were so full of aphids, I tossed them out completely. Bugs gross me out.
Anyhow, once you’ve peeled back those leaves to a nice firm ball, slice the stem end again at the point where it meets the leaves. Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise.
Now you’re ready to go!
Step 2: Toss the prepped Brussels sprouts and the cut butternut squash in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Step 3: Spread the seasoned squash and sprouts in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet with a lip, turning all the sprouts cut side down.
Step 4: Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes; then flip veggies over, and continue roasting for another 15 minutes.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a 1/2 lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa’s, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn’s has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 valuea Rafflecopter giveaway Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.
Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse Brussels Sprouts well, peel outer leaves and cut in half lengthwise.
- In large bowl, toss Brussels Sprouts, squash cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with bacon crumbles.
- Bake 30 minutes; flipping veggies over halfway through cooking time. Drizzle maple syrup over everything. Bake another 15 minutes, until fork tender.
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
Appetizers and Snacks
- Caramel Pecan Clusters from An Affair from the Heart
- Carrot Top Hummus from Savory Moments
- Fall Charcuterie Board from Magical Ingredients
- Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Savory Cheesecake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Overnight Oats from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Cinnamon Apple Bread from Lemon Blossoms
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Soups and Salads
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup from Devour Dinner
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup from The Fresh Cooky
- Salmon Salad With Grapes And Pecans from Art of Natural Living
- Apple Butter Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts With Candied Pecans And Green Apple from Soulfully Made
- Butternut Squash And Bacon Risotto from SueBee Homemaker
- Loaded Bacon And Kale Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash from Eat Move Make
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash from Hostess At Heart
- Apple Cider Rubbed Pork Chops from That Recipe
- Thai Butternut Squash Curry from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Butternut Squash Parmesan Pasta from Frugal & Fit
- Grape & Gorgonzola Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
- Honey Dijon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from Simple and Savory
- How To Air Fry Pork Tenderloin With Sweet Potatoes from West Via Midwest
- Butter Pecan Fudge from Take Two Tapas
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake from Fresh April Flours
- Easy Apple Crisp from Life Love and Good Food
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies from Books n’ Cooks
- French Apple Tart from Jen around the world
- Individual Grape Crumble from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Roll from House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Family Around The Table
- Slow Cooker Apple Pear Crisp from Blogghetti