Picture a hearty, steaming Beef Pot Pie with tender beef, beans, veggies, and tantalizing southwestern spices nestled in a flaky pie crust. Total comfort food! Best of all, it’s really easy to make and a delicious meal the whole family will love.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Classic comfort food, perfect for chilly or rainy days.
- Easy prep.
- Hearty and satisfying.
- Great way to use up leftover meat and veggies.
- It’s versatile – easy to customize with your favorite veggies, herbs, and seasonings.
Key Ingredients for Beef Pot Pies
- Shaved ribeye
- Red bell pepper (could also use green)
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Black beans
- Mexican-style corn
- Condensed cheddar cheese soup
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Refrigerated pie crust
- Cilantro (optional, but brings a nice pop of color and flavor)
Beef Pot Pie Recipe Directions
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a pie plate with a pie crust and blind bake for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Add the beef to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
Step 3: Add peppers; saute for 3 minutes. Add onions; saute for 2 minutes. Then add tomatoes and saute for one more minute. Turn the burner heat down to low.
Step 4: Add beans, Mexican corn, cheese soup, and spices. Mix thoroughly. Remove from heat.
Step 5: Spoon the meat and bean mixture into the blind-baked crust.
Step 6: Cover with a top layer of pie crust and seal the edges as best you can. Prick to vent. If desired, eggwash the top crust and sprinkle on some chopped cilantro.
Step 7: Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes until the crust is golden brown. If crust edges are browning too quickly, cover with foil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stewing beef, such as beef chuck roast, round, or even ground beef, could be used in pot pie recipes, but if using a roast, you’d want to stew it low and slow until it’s tender. That’s why I use shaved ribeye. It’s quick and easy!
Puff pastry would make a nice crust as well. Roll out the puff pastry sheets and cut them to the desired size.
Beef broth or red wine would add an excellent depth of flavor to the beef. You may need a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce to a gravy.
Yes, especially if you’re worried about sauce or gravy spillovers.
Other Recipes to Try
Beef Pot Pie
- 12 oz shaved ribeye
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 15.5 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 11 oz can mexican-style corn, drained
- 10 ¾ oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 refrigerated prepared pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line pie plate with one of the pie crusts and blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Meanwhile, over med-high heat, cook meat in saute pan for about 3 minutes. Add peppers; saute 3 minutes. Add onions; saute 2 minutes. Then add tomatoes and saute 1 more minute. Turn burner heat down to low.
- Add beans, Mexican corn,cheese soup and spices. Mix thoroughly. Remove from heat
- Spoon meat and bean mixture into the blind-baked crust. Then cover with a top layer of pie crust and seal edges as best you can. Prick to vent. If desired, egg wash the top crust and Sprinkle on some chopped cilantro.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes until crust is a nice golden brown. If crust edges are browning too quickly, cover with foil. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.