It’s fall y’all, and I couldn’t resist making Ben & Jerry’s pumpkin ice cream recipe from their cookbook when I received it as a gift from the publisher.
While I typically go for their chunky ice cream concoctions – my favorite is Pfish Food – there’s something about the deliciousness and simplicity of pumpkin at this time of year that’s calling to me.
Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream & Dessert Book starts out with Ben & Jerry’s story. It’s fun to read about how they got started and of course, how their famous “chunks” came to be.
It has recipes for a multitude of ice cream flavors (like chocolate chip cookie dough, Cherry Garcia and Heath Bar Crunch) but it also has recipes for baked treats, sauces and sundae concoctions too.
The book also offers three different sweet cream base recipe options for you to choose from when making ice cream and it explains the difference between them.
Ingredients for Ben & Jerry’s ice cream base recipe with pumpkin
I opted to go with the creamiest Ben and Jerry’s ice cream base recipe but I used pasteurized eggs. The cookbook’s recipe doesn’t mention the need for pasteurized eggs but I feel it’s important because the ice cream base isn’t cooked.
- pasteurized eggs (you’ll find these next to the regular eggs in the grocery store)
- heavy whipping cream
- pumpkin puree
How to make pumpkin ice cream using Ben & Jerry’s ice cream recipe
Whisk the pasteurized eggs for a couple minutes until they’re light and fluffy.
Now whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, and continue whisking another minute or so more until sugar is fully blended.
Next whisk in the cream and milk.
Take about one cup of the mixture and add it to a second mixing bowl to which you add the pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir to mix well.
Return this to the remaining cream base and blend together.
Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and chill for 2 or 3 hours in the refrigerator. Then pour into an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s directions.
Spoon the pumpkin ice cream into a freezer-safe container and let chill for several hours so it firms up a bit more.
Or dig in right away and enjoy the soft-serve texture!
Pick up a copy of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream & Dessert Book for yourself or as a gift!
Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker – SilverTovolo Sweet Treats 2 Piece 1 Quart Pistachio and Lemon Tub SetTovolo Glide-A-Scoop Ice Cream Tub, 1.5 Quart, Insulated, Airtight Reusable Container With Non-Slip Base, Stackable on Freezer Shelves, BPA-Free, Strawberry SorbetKitchenAid Gourmet Ice Cream Scoop, One Size, Matte Aqua Sky
More homemade ice cream recipes you’ll love
- Blueberry graham cracker ice cream
- Cookie butter crunch ice cream
- Lemon basil cookie crunch ice cream
- Caramel apple pie ice cream
Ben & Jerry’s Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 2 large eggs (pasteurized)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whisk the pasteurized eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about a minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Pour about 1 cup of the cream base into another bowl. Add the pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir until blended. Return the pumpkin mixture to the remaining cream base and blend. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill for 2-3 hours.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's directions.