This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Food Lion. All opinions are 100% mine.
These chocolate monster donuts for Halloween will add spooky deliciousness to October 31st and all your Halloween party celebrations!
And they’re so darn easy to make that even the kids can help!
I got the idea to make chocolate monster donuts the other day when I saw all the Halloween candy in my local Food Lion and at the same time, I realized how fortunate I am.
Not only can I count on my Food Lion for affordable everyday staples and favorites to help me nourish my family, but I can also afford to splurge on ingredients for seasonal recipes throughout the year.
Not everyone can.
1 in 8 people struggle with hunger in the U.S.
1 in 6 children face hunger every day.
130,000 veterans are homeless and hungry.
5 million seniors face hunger in the U.S.
When it comes to fighting against hunger, Food Lion inspires me far beyond grocery shopping. I’ve talked about Food Lion’s commitment to helping their neighbors in the communities they serve and how they take an active and caring role in working against hunger through #FoodLionFeeds.
They have committed to donating one billion more meals through the program! It’s going to help so many people dealing with food insecurities and it makes me love Food Lion even more than I already do!
How to Make Chocolate Monster Donuts for Halloween
You can use any kind of donut you’d like, but I opted to go with something glazed.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire cooling rack on top. Place the donuts on the rack.
Then chop up two semi-sweet high-quality chocolate bars. Look for them in the candy row; Food Lion has a great selection. Dump the chopped chocolate into a medium mixing bowl.
In a small saucepan, heat some heavy cream until it reaches a very hot temperature but before it boils.
Pour over the chocolate pieces and let it sit and melt the chocolate for a minute or two.
Stir to mix together into a shiny and delicious chocolate ganache.
Add black food coloring to deepen the chocolate color even more, then use two forks to dip each donut into the ganache on both sides.
Carefully use forks to transfer donut to wire rack. Let extra chocolate drip off.
Add candy eyes to the soft chocolate as desired, then let the donuts rest so the chocolate can set up.
Place the donuts on a cute Halloween tray and serve to family, friends and neighbors. They’d also make a fun treat for a school party!
Chocolate Monster Donuts for Halloween
Pin this easy Halloween treat to Pinterest!
For more spooky treats for your next Halloween party, try these other ideas:
Chocolate Monster Donuts
- 6 ounces high-quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- black food coloring
- 8 cake donuts
- candy eyes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, waxed paper or aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top.
- Put chocolate pieces in a medium bowl. Set aside. Heat heavy whipping cream on stove over med-low heat until very hot. Don't let it reach a boil. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit a minute or two. Stir until smooth and fully combined. Add 5-8 drops of black food coloring to deepen the chocolate color.
- Dunk both sides of donut into chocolate, letting extra drip off before transferring to the wire cooling rack to set. (Using two plastic forks to stabilize and manipulate the donuts through the dipping process works well.) Place candy eyes on donuts as desired.