These mermaid ice cream cone cupcakes were created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Making mermaid ice cream cone cupcakes is so much fun and if you have little ones at home, invite them into the kitchen to help. I guarantee they’ll love splashing the mermaid tails into the “water” and decorating with sprinkles.
Of course, they’ll also love eating the ice cream cone cupcakes too!
The first thing you need to do is prepare your cake batter and if you’d like to use a storebought mix, go for it!
Fill the cones about halfway with cake batter. It’s super tempting to fill them up higher, but the batter will spill over the top and make the ice cream cones soggy.
Resist the temptation to overfill!
I like to press a piece of foil over a muffin tin, cut a little hole and then pop the cones into the middle of each muffin section. The foil keeps the cones from toppling over while baking.
They’ll bake the same amount of time cupcakes do, and then they need to cool completely.
Tip: Take a utility fork or skewer and poke the bottom of the cones to help them vent while cooling. I also put mine on a cooling rack for air circulation.
While the cupcakes cooled, I used this mermaid cupcake decorating kit from Wilton and four colors of candy melts to mold the mermaid tails. There were two colors included in the step-by-step kit and I also used peach cobbler and orange creme.
When my cupcakes were completely cool, I frosted them with a delicious shade of blue icing to mimic the sea. You could use any color frosting you’d like though.
And then I sprinkled the top of the frosting with a couple of fun mixes from Sweets and Treats and plunked in those cute little mermaid tails.
Making mermaid ice cream cone cupcakes is as easy as that!
Mermaid Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Make candy mermaid tails with kit. Set aside.
Fill cupcake cones halfway with prepared cake batter. Put a piece of foil over a muffin tin, cut a little hole for each cupcake and then pop the cones into the middle of each muffin section. The foil helps stabilize the cones while baking. Bake according to package directions for cupcakes (usually around 20 minutes).
Take a utility fork or skewer and poke the bottom of the cones to help them vent while cooling. Place on cooling rack to cool completely.
Frost and decorate with sprinkles. Push a mermaid tail into the middle of each cupcake cone.
Pin this mermaid ice cream cone cupcakes post!
Mermaid Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- Strawberry Siren Shake from A Blender Mom
- Funfetti Ice Cream Sandwiches from Family Around the Table
- Ice Cream Waffle Sandwiches from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red, White & Blue Funfetti Ice Cream from Books n’ Cooks
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- No-Bake Mermaid Cake from Nik Snacks
- Mermaid Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes from Eat Move Make
- Lemon Cupcakes from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Strawberry Buttercream Cake with Blueberry Lemonade Ganache from 4 Sons R Us
- Blackberry Lemon Yogurt Cake from Sweet Beginnings
No Bake Treats:
- Frozen Chocolate Chip Dessert from Who Needs A Cape?
- Sprinkle Filled Birthday Cookie Dough Dip from Cooking With Carlee
- Candy Dipped Fruit Cones from Blogghetti
- Mermaid Cakesicles from Big Bear’s Wife
- Strawberry Lemonade Bars from Jen Around the World
- Amaretto Cheesecake from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Lemon Blueberry Scones from The Beard and The Baker
- Key Lime Pie Donuts from Daily Dish Recipes
- Lemon Bar Cheesecake from Fake Ginger
- Blueberry Banana Pretzel Bars from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- New York Style Cheesecake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Cheesecake with Key Lime Stars and Orange Cream Mermaids from Our Good Life
- Indian Rice Pudding from Palatable Pastime
- Key Lime Thumbprint Cookies from The Domestic Kitchen
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Doughmesstic
- Chocolate Swirl Meringues from My Sweet Zepol
- Sweet Corn Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Peach Pie Fudge from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Blackberry Spritzer from My Baking Heart
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!