I made this rhubarb dump cake immediately after finding rhubarb for the first time this spring. Rhubarb season is way too short, and if you don’t get some the moment you spot it, you just might lose out altogether. At least that’s how it seems to go for me.
Maybe I should grow my own rhubarb…
Anyhow, this rhubarb cake is the first of my rhubarb recipes this year, and so as long as I can keep finding it, I’ll keep baking with it. I’m a little obsessed with rhubarb in the spring!
Since dump cake recipes are so quick and simple to make, so is this rhubarb cake version, and it has the added perk of tasting just like strawberry rhubarb crisp.
You’ll need about 4 cups of sliced rhubarb, so get to choppin’. That’s the hardest part, and that’s not even hard!
Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and dig in!
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (about 1 pound)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 (3oz.) pkg. strawberry JELL-O
- 1 pkg. yellow cake mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9"x13" pan, place rhubarb evenly over bottom of pan.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over rhubarb.
- Spread dry JELL-O mix over rhubarb and sugar layers.
- Add dry cake mix as the next layer, then cold water and finally the melted butter. Don't mix together.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Are you a rhubarb fan? Do you have any favorite rhubarb dessert recipes?